• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I know this has been asked numerous times but I am asking again because I am curious with the current deals (if there are any out there) if you guys would go for a used one on the forum or go with one off the shelf?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What is the purpose of the gun?
    Range/paper punching?
    Defense rifle?
    Lots of deals right now for inexpensive ARs that are fine for punching paper.
    I'd go with a better quality rifle for defensive purposes.
    Used is fine if it's been taken care of and a moderate round count.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you have to ask, you likely can't adequately inspect a used AR well enough, and I'd recommend buying new or building your own.

Lots of bubba'd AR's out there. Remember, they're like adult legos, and even if you're buying a "factory" built used AR, someone could have swapped out all of the expensive bits and pieces and put junk inside it, hoping to sell it to some fud that doesn't know any better. Or maybe the seller has done some awful dremel gun smithing on it. Are you willing to take their word for it that their rifle only shot 500 rounds? Did the seller really run 10 cases of ammo through it? Do you really know what to look for?

Only exception to this would be buying from someone that is extremely reputable on here, or if you can take a friend that knows what they're doing.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    The use would be primarily range but it would be utilized as home defense in conjunction with the mossberg 500a. Seen some great deals on used ones here with ammo which surprises me.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    If you have to ask, you likely can't adequately inspect a used AR well enough, and I'd recommend buying new or building your own.

Lots of bubba'd AR's out there. Remember, they're like adult legos, and even if you're buying a "factory" built used AR, someone could have swapped out all of the expensive bits and pieces and put junk inside it, hoping to sell it to some fud that doesn't know any better. Or maybe the seller has done some awful dremel gun smithing on it. Are you willing to take their word for it that their rifle only shot 500 rounds? Did the seller really run 10 cases of ammo through it? Do you really know what to look for?

Only exception to this would be buying from someone that is extremely reputable on here, or if you can take a friend that knows what they're doing.

If I bought used, it would only be from someone on here. But its hard to beat some of these deals out here new. I just like the thought of getting the package deal with the ammo and accessories but will probably end up creating my own package deal in the end.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Just head over to Plainfield Shooting Supply and tell Bob what you want, he will fix you up. I took my Grandson there last week. Bob took good care of us and gave us as good a deal as I could find.:twocents::rockwoot:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I bought used, it would only be from someone on here. But its hard to beat some of these deals out here new. I just like the thought of getting the package deal with the ammo and accessories but will probably end up creating my own package deal in the end.
    Dont necessarily trust buying on here, some of the ARs I've seen bubba'd up in the classifieds are sketchy, on a good day! Without causing yet ANOTHER AR builders feud, PARTS AIN'T PARTS!

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I would say buy new unless you are buying from someone you trust. Not sure what your price range is but there are decent options available in the $500 range right now.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What? Didn't you know all parts come from the same couple of factories.

Dont necessarily trust buying on here, some of the ARs I've seen bubba'd up in the classifieds are sketchy, on a good day! Without causing yet ANOTHER AR builders feud, PARTS AIN'T PARTS!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The use would be primarily range but it would be utilized as home defense in conjunction with the mossberg 500a. Seen some great deals on used ones here with ammo which surprises me.

Since you also want to use it for self defense, buying used is fine as long as you know the quality of the parts used in it and it has a proven history of reliability.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Thanks BJones. I just may have to do that. I would like some good professional advice on what I buy.
    Just head over to Plainfield Shooting Supply and tell Bob what you want, he will fix you up. I took my Grandson there last week. Bob took good care of us and gave us as good a deal as I could find.:twocents::rockwoot:

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Thank you for the heads up. I have seen a couple of those on here....

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Seems to be the common theme. Thinking new is the sure way to go.

Since you also want to use it for self defense, buying used is fine as long as you know the quality of the parts used in it and it has a proven history of reliability.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seems to be the common theme. Thinking new is the sure way to go.

If you want to be sure, you need to build your own or have one built with parts that you spec.
    Even when you buy new off the shelf, you still can't be sure where the parts came from.

For example, I always build mine with BCM barrels and BCM BCG's, and use Aero Precision lowers and Aero Precision or BCM uppers, Geissele triggers, etc.
    None of mine have ever malfunctioned even once, and I trust them to use for self defense if God forbid it ever came to that.
    There's many brands of good quality components out there.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What? Didn't you know all parts come from the same couple of factories.
    Ya got me there, they do come from mostly the same sources. The ones that are cheap, didn't make the MINIMUM spec to be sold to the good guys! But that doesn't matter, if you've only listened to half the song, keep on keepin' on. The gunsmithing forum needs more threads anyway!

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    'off the shelf' will carry with it a warranty...especially if you are going for sub-$1000 iron...no matter how you are using it....that's a good thang.

I'd go with off the shelf.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Thats how I am feeling on it. I think warranty and comfort of having something built correctly is where I am leaning.

'off the shelf' will carry with it a warranty...especially if you are going for sub-$1000 iron...no matter how you are using it....that's a good thang.

I'd go with off the shelf.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thats how I am feeling on it. I think warranty and comfort of having something built correctly is where I am leaning.

Don't need a warranty when you buy quality parts and put them together correctly. The ar is so simple to work on it's ridiculous. Almost the glock of black rifles

Top Bottom