• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, I was finally able to shoot my new CZ Evo Scorpion carbine yesterday. (Sorry for the weird spacing, I typed this in notebook first and copied.) I shot hand loads only, 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ, which were moving at right around 1100 FPS from the 16" barrel and achieve around 900-950 FPS through my handguns. I also tried another batch of coated 147s and was able to get good cycling in the Scorpion below 1000 FPS.

I found a few things to be very positive:

The irons are really nice and are a great design. Low profile and with a ferris wheel sortof of rotating rear aperture. The front sight is similar to an AR and adjusts the same way. I bought the CZC RMR mount, BUT I forgot to put a little blue loctite on the screws (and a wrench at the range), so I noticed it was loose and couldn't tighten it. It offers a nice co-witness though. Accuracy seemed good, but I think it would be better with hotter ammo.

The weight, feel, and the balance are awesome. I think it weighs just over 6lbs and it feels great in transitioning compared to a 16" AR. Sure most of it is polymer, but that doesn't bother me. The polymer seems to be very durable and my HK pistols have a lot of polymer too.

I like the stock. It is easy to fold, easy to deploy, just about the right length, minimalistic and keeps weight down.

The muzzle brake is good too. It's pretty minimal and light weight and I sortof assume all 9mm brakes are equivalent in function, so a lighter one is better to me.

It is very quiet, I suppose this is common to all PCCs, but it was a pretty nice change over my AR with muzzle brake.

The ergonomics are really great. With a little practice, I think better than an AR, more akin to a SCAR, but without a reciprocating charging handle.

The magazines are great. They are a very durable/solid feeling translucent polymer and they are only about$20 each (10,20, or 30). I have had zero issues finding them.

I found some things to be okay or acceptable:

The factory safety didn't bother me. I will not likely upgrade it. I am sure it depends on hand size, but I could use it just like I use the ambi safeties on my ARs.

The factory grip was fine by me too. I already bought the yeti upgrade, so I will swap it, but it wasn't necessary to me.

I would almost put the charging handle in the negatives, but it was acceptable. It would be ideal to have a little bit more handle to grip given the force it takes to move the bolt, but i am in no hurry to change it.

The mag release was fine, but I have the gear works extended one on my bench and I think it will make mag changes easier.

Then there were the things that I didn't like:

First, as anyone who has read about the Scorpion would know the trigger is pretty rough. I didn't find the quality of it to be as bad as the very heavy pull. I would think that the quality is about that of a Glock trigger, but at twice the weight. I will be acquiring new springs as soon as I determine if I have the welded trigger pack.

Second, the blowback design is both good and bad. I think the blowback will allow me to reliably shoot even lighter weight subsonics, but it also has recoil. It's not recoil like I am used to though. It is more of a very short bump, almost a ping. It feels like a nail gun or a staple gun and you are very aware of the large bolt cycling as you fire. Once it is suppressed though, I think I will prefer the blowback over a gas gun and the difference in volume will be negligible.

All in all, I think it is a cool gun. I bought it just to plink with and to teach my kids to shoot on. I think it will make a nice/fun step up from a 22 LR with a little more recoil, but also really quiet. I don't really see a purpose for me other than that, as I think that my 300 blackout (future SBR) will do pretty much everything better than this PCC, but I started looking at ammo costs and realized that it won't take a ton of 300 blk subsonic ammo expended to essentially pay for this carbine.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I found it legible and informative.

I had been craving a non-AR 9mm carbine and strongly considered the CZ EVO Scorpion carbine. Very good price, surprisingly affordable mags and a quality product. I handled a couple at the spring 1500 but could not pull the trigger. I did end up getting a Beretta Storm but have not shot it yet.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It's a cool gun but I found its existent to be stupid because of our 16in barrel law unless you want it in pistol form or getting SBR. This and many guns shouldn't exist simply because of the NFA.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    It's a cool gun but I found its existent to be stupid because of our 16in barrel law unless you want it in pistol form or getting SBR. This and many guns shouldn't exist simply because of the NFA.

I think that "stupid" may be a bit harsh, but your point is valid. As I had stated, I don't see a myriad of functions for it, BUT I was surprised how little the 16" barrel bothered me and I liked how quiet it made the firearm. The barrel and the muzzle brake are very light, so you really don't much perceive it, as opposed to a 16" AR barrel, gas block, and muzzle device. I had contemplated SBR'ing mine, but then it is going to be louder without a can and it is just putting more money toward something that I bought as a toy anyway.

That being said, fun IS a purpose and it will also be a nice beginner carbine for a youth shooter, so it does fulfill two niches for me.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It is a niche role that 9mm carbines do fill but the longer overall length defeats its original purpose. If H&K had somehow came out with an affordable MP5 civilian and offered it in pistol or carbine with a faux suppressor, I'd get the pistol variant.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    It is a niche role that 9mm carbines do fill but the longer overall length defeats its original purpose. If H&K had somehow came out with an affordable MP5 civilian and offered it in pistol or carbine with a faux suppressor, I'd get the pistol variant.
    So, your opinion has more to do with the nature of pccs in general and the nfa laws? I can't disagree with you at all, but it would be nice to hear from other cz evo scorpion owners who, like me, have decided to follow those laws and own a pcc. Id like to read how they improved the firearm and not why they chose not to buy it. Your opinion is very akin to saying 16" ar platforms aren't ideal.... you are totally right IMO, but I as well as many others will choose the easy legality over the hassle. No insult meant.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If it is too hard, expensive, of your state won't allow for an SBR 9mm subgun, then by all means go get the full 16in barrel guns. For me personally, I and a lot of others think if the NFA did not exist, these guns also would have no meaning. For CQB, going in and out of vehicles, these guns bother pistol caliber and rifle calibers are a dream to shoot and handle in these spaces. Adding bulk and size up to 16in barrels, you need to train around that limitation of course.

I'm not saying that any rifle with a 16in barrel doesn't work but it's because of the stupid laws, gun makers had to MAKE it work. Good recently example is the X95. The original design is supposed to be an ultra short and compact Tavor, but because of overall length requirements, it can never be that in the US without a tax stamp, registration and just simply extra hassle, which not a lot of people are willing to go through that and just simply buying the US X95 sorta defeats the purpose of the original design of it. It isn't a bad gun. It's still an awesome gun to handle and shoot. I've shot one recently. But because of laws we had to obey, it can't be what it originally was.

Say H&K finally made an MP5 civilian available in America again that's affordable and also has the paddle release. Why the recent SP89 gun they are reintroducing doesn't is beyond me. As a stockless gun, it's really no better than a pistol even with a 30 round magazine. With a stock, it's a dream to shoot and handle. Say they came out with the full size MP5 civilian but in order to have a stock, they gave it an extended barrel. Now you can have the stock legally without a tax stamp but because of the extended barrel length, handling it in CQB is now harder and you need to adjust to it. The Kriss was originally deigned as a fast firing SMG but even though the long barrel with shroud is still light, it lost the compactness of its original intent.

This is the entire point I'm trying to make in the purpose of subguns.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I too own a CZ Evo Scorpion and have been thoroughly impressed with it. I purchased it as a pistol and then sent off a Form 1 to attempt to return the firearm to its true form (almost, minus selector switch unfortunately). It is now a short, handy SBR w/ decent ergo's and great reliability. My current configuration involves a Gemtech GM9, Magpul VFG, Streamlight TLR-HL @ 9 o'clock, and Burris Fastfire II. I might purchase a Yeti works grip and longer handguard in the future.

In reply to Excalibur's posts, I have to agree that most US gun laws are absurd and in a perfect world they would no longer exist - but we must live in reality. I am the kind of person that wants to own firearms in their "designed" form and will pretty much pay whatever stupid tax stamps it takes to arrive at that point. I am 22 years old and have already purchased 5 tax stamp items (2 SBR's, 3 silencers) with plans to purchase dozens more in the future. Yes I do want to get a X95 Tavor at some point, but it will have to be Form 1'd in order to please me. I am also lucky enough to have a father who owns a "real" HK MP5 - so I get to experience the true joy of an actual submachine gun. I do not think that the GCA or NFA will ever be repealed because of the public's perception of firearms, but I will continue to do all that I can to spread my knowledge of firearms and promote the idea of freedom.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have the pistol flavor, and love it. A questions about optics setup though: while the stock irons are very good, I prefer a red dot, and mounted one up. I was surprised to find I didn't like the cowitness, as it really obscured the view through the red dot. Has anyone else found his to be the case? Does anyone run one with just a red dot and live dangerously without back up irons?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't like the cowitness as well, so I got a riser for mine. Also switched the stock iron sights for flip ups because why not.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I love be co-witness. I have the irons set to the largest aperture and the red dot sits right in the front post. With the dot on, I don't even notice the irons.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have the pistol flavor, and love it. A questions about optics setup though: while the stock irons are very good, I prefer a red dot, and mounted one up. I was surprised to find I didn't like the cowitness, as it really obscured the view through the red dot. Has anyone else found his to be the case? Does anyone run one with just a red dot and live dangerously without back up irons?
    I run a Aimpoint micro on my MPX, with no irons. If the dot were to quit, look through the little window, pull the trigger until satisfied. I don't worry about the irons not being there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do your red dots get tired when you guys run them?

heh-heh-heh

I was leaning toward the MPX, but chezuki educated me on the relative prices and availability of magazines for the CZ vs. the MPX. The CZ is looking very good right now.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

heh-heh-heh

I was leaning toward the MPX, but chezuki educated me on the relative prices and availability of magazines for the CZ vs. the MPX. The CZ is looking very good right now.

Do it!! I can't speak to the MPX, but I assure you will not be disappointed in the CZ. (Except maybe by the gritty trigger. But that can be fixed.)

KJQ and Rookie, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking red dot only. Off with the irons!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers

heh-heh-heh

You will notice that I didn't "run" anything. I tried two options for red dots to co-witness, both my RMR and then one of my aimpoint T1s which is on a low QD mount from Larue. I preferred the T1, but I would rather leave it on my shotgun. If I weren't trying to teach someone to shoot on it, then I would take the irons off.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have left the irons on my Carbine and soon to be SBR. I use a red dot and haven't really paid much attention to the irons. I have been using the Bushnell but for the SBR I think I am going to add a Vortex Sparc.

Rhino, I would be glad to let you shoot both the carbine and the pistol if you would like.

Top Bottom