• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabrielvox1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    Camby, IN
    Looking at a Springfield trapdoor carbine in .45-70, although it will put my Sharps in same calibre purchase back a few months. Anybody have any experience with one? Fun to shoot? Any hunting you've done? Ranges you're getting out too? Absolute ballz pain in the ass and I shouldn't even consider it?

Thanks for responses.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I haven't gotten one yet. But if you plan on shooting it remember it was designed for black powder loads. There is plenty of trap door load reloading info out there. Don't run modern high power factory loads in it.

It will be fun to shoot, no doubt! I really don't see it being a pain in the ass to own. But I would probably not use it as my plinker. Reload for it so you know what you are running threw it. If you have any doubts about it's function or safety take it to a good gunsmith. My Henry 45-70 is fun to shoot. i really enjoy it. But beware, lever guns are like Doritos, you can't have just one. :lmfao: Lucky you for finding a trap door.

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I haven't gotten one yet. But if you plan on shooting it remember it was designed for black powder loads. There is plenty of trap door load reloading info out there. Don't run modern high power factory loads in it.

It will be fun to shoot, no doubt! I really don't see it being a pain in the ass to own. But I would probably not use it as my plinker. Reload for it so you know what you are running threw it. If you have any doubts about it's function or safety take it to a good gunsmith. My Henry 45-70 is fun to shoot. i really enjoy it. But beware, lever guns are like OREOS, you can't have just one. :lmfao: Lucky you for finding a trap door.

Fixed :)

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I picked one up several years ago that is in fine shape and appears to be mostly original including the cleaning rod. Think I paid about $900 for it off Gunbroker. I only shot about 10 rnds out of it since I was in a hurry at the time. The loads I used were factory Goex black powder loads I was able to find. You want to be careful about the type of smokeless loads you shoot out of them. They were designed in the black powder era and it really isn't known as a strong action. After shooting it at 50 yards from a bench it was pretty accurate. I shot a Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70 with smokeless loads during that same range trip and remember thinking the trapdoor kicked like a mule compared to the Pedersoli. Maybe it was due to weight since the rolling block is a very heavy barrel.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is just MNSHO, but I'd skip the Springfield for the Sharps every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    As was already correctly mentioned, the 1873 Springfield has a relatively weak action, while the Sharps has a significantly stronger action.
    Also, it's a Sharps, so the cool factor is there.

Top Bottom