To A2 (front sight post) or not to A2, that is my question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, I understand that there are some negatives and positives to any choices for an AR build. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with an A2-style front sight. Most optics, from what I've read through my Google-Fu, will co-witness with the A2 front sight post, you don't have to worry about having a front BUS. The A2 post also may limit what handguards you are able to put on (at least in respect to length). What other pros/cons are out there for A2 post? What have you chosen to put on your AR builds and why? Thanks for any input!!

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I really dont have much of a preference either way. I have a couple with and a couple without. I can tell you as far as the handguard, they make some that have a cutout for the A2 front sight so you can use a longer handguard. Obviously they are not free float, but i have one on 1 of mine and looks good and serves the purpose. If i could ever figure out how to post pics i'd show ya but my skills are lacking

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I only have 1 with an A2 sight tower. Only because it's a defense carbine with an Aimpoint. If for some reason the battery goes down I've got back ups. The A2 is tough as nails and isn't going anywhere with those taper pins. Also it's protected with ears on the sides. Other than that, I'm not fond of iron sights. I've said it before, the 1-4x or 1-6x optic makes irons obsolete anymore. Weight is the only positive for the irons as long as you're not adding an optic

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I prefer the longer handguards and the low profile gas block VS having the fixed A2 front sight. Why? Because when holding the rifle, I can achieve a much better, tighter, steadier grip with my arm stretched out further.

Plus having longer handguards look bad ass.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I can't think of any negatives of having an A2 FSB. They are about as bombproof as it can get. Yeah, they might not look super cool but there is a reason why the military has been fielding them for 50+years. JFTR, I have 7x ARs w/FSB and 6x w/out.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't like a FSB unless they're at rifle length, which limits me to a mock Dissy or 18"+ barrel with rifle gas.

I don't like the handguards that have cutouts for a FSB. The FSB is the gas block, and it gets HOT. Reach up there with an ungloved hand and accidentally touch that FSB.....you won't make that mistake again. If you want a rail that's longer than where the FSB is, chop the FSB and run your handguard over what is now your LPGB.

One bonus to running a LPGB is that when you put a rail over it, it's protected.

One bonus to running a FSB is that you have your front sight attached directly to your barrel and if your handguard is free floated, you don't have to worry about pulling your sight out of alignment when cranking down on a sling or pushing your handguard into a rest or something like that.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    an advantage of A2 front sight is price. You can get magpul drop in hand guards for a lot cheaper than free floated handguards. If you want to go free floated, low profile probably makes more sense. Functionally it doesn't really matter.

I will say, as a vet there is something to having what I was issued. Really want to put together a 14.5 M4 clone.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The A2 FSB is the most secure gas block you will ever find. Even if you want extended handguards, I would still get an A2 FSB and chop it to keep the gas block, then add your preferred backup sights. This is my favorite setup.

Top Bottom