• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Given the likely influx of Russian rifles with the election of Trump, the next major purchase I will want to make is of a AK-74, either a Saiga or if 922r is taken off the books a new rifle.

What I am curious of is what kind of accuracy is the system capable of? Both with and without chrome lined bores, in Saigas and russian spec rifles like Arsenals as well as US made stuff, and with really good ammo as well as with 7n6 and Russian commercial stuff

What kind of point blank range with a maximum of a 2-3 inch rise is possible? With say a variable power scope in a RS regulate mount or side rail, what is the height over bore? Does the Zenitco railed topcovers hold and return to zero?

Also if I could get a soviet surplus AKS-74 (the 1980s style with the wood furniture and the triangle folder), what kind of group sizes do those guns shoot with 7n6?

And finally, what kind of guns would you guys like to see come in from Russia?

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    With my saiga 5.45, using 7n6, iron sights, and not really shooting for accuracy I shot a large fist sized hole in a 6 inch target at 100 meter. Mr allenm is doing some work on it for me and when I get it back I'll throw on athe red dot and tryI for prediction shots.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Also if I could get a soviet surplus AKS-74 (the 1980s style with the wood furniture and the triangle folder), what kind of group sizes do those guns shoot with 7n6?

4-6" groups at 100, just like every other military weapon shooting shlock issue ammo.

If you care about group sizes look at something upmarket like Krebs or Mike at The Firing Line in Oklahoma. Mike has built several 47s and 74s for me. He can make a tight gun.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since you are so excited about Russian firearms, be aware that there is an American-made line cutter coming soon which will be made on the East Coast. I hope to learn more at SHOT.

U.S made Soviet VSS Vintorez suppressed rifle - The Firearm Blog

unnamed-2-660x372.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Damn you Kirk! Looks like it's ramen and cup noodles for the next 2 months.

Id also like to see the saiga 9 and SVD rifles

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Given the likely influx of Russian rifles with the election of Trump... or if 922r is taken off the books...

I think your entire premise is flawed.

Repeal of the Obama embargo might allow some additional Kalashnikov "sporting" products into the country (Saiga, et al), but 922(r) and the previous bans on small-arms imports from Russia aren't going ANYWHERE.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think your entire premise is flawed.

Repeal of the Obama embargo might allow some additional Kalashnikov "sporting" products into the country (Saiga, et al), but 922(r) and the previous bans on small-arms imports from Russia aren't going ANYWHERE.
    Well that's the spirit! Just give up before you even try!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Back to the subject at hand. This is what I did with my saiga 74, using 7n6 and my psa using wolf gold. Shooting was done at on Sunday and I was limited to 50 yards. I believe both groups could be tighter as my contact prescription is horribly out if date and the dots on the optics are not really clear to me. Bigger Taliban target was shot with both rifles utilizing quick ready up drills so don't judge based on that. I get new glasses this week so hopefully next range trip I do these rifles better justice.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    7n6 won't be coming back. That was not an executive order, but a ruling by the ATF that classified it as armor piercing. I don't know any example of a ruling being overturned because of a new president.

7n6 will never be imported again

Definitely possible for Saigas to be imported again, though -- we'll just have to wait and see!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    7n6 won't be coming back. That was not an executive order, but a ruling by the ATF that classified it as armor piercing. I don't know any example of a ruling being overturned because of a new president.

7n6 will never be imported again

Definitely possible for Saigas to be imported again, though -- we'll just have to wait and see!
    weve never had a president that don't take no **** and isn't in anyone's pocket before.
    never say never

Top Bottom