Am I expecting too much out of my stock 10/22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    For the record, I'm reasonably comfortable shooting 1" groups at 100yds with a couple of my larger caliber bolt guns. I have a couple stock 10/22s that I think ought to be able to get close to that accuracy level. I have a 2-7 Vortex rimfire scope that I have tried on both rifles. At best, I'm getting 3-4" groups with Federal Auto-match ammo. Do I need to go to some of the really expensive match ammo like Ely? I've ran ammo comparisons on most of the usual bulk ammo. Am I just expecting too much out of a stock rifle?
    One is the basic wood stock carbine with Tech sights and the other is the Ruger 50th anniversary Appleseed rifle. I couldn't see well with the factory sights on it so I bought the Vortex, rings and mount from Allen at A&A. Tried it on both rifles but both shot about the same groups.

Thanks, Matt

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For the record, I'm reasonably comfortable shooting 1" groups at 100yds with a couple of my larger caliber bolt guns. I have a couple stock 10/22s that I think ought to be able to get close to that accuracy level. I have a 2-7 Vortex rimfire scope that I have tried on both rifles. At best, I'm getting 3-4" groups with Federal Auto-match ammo. Do I need to go to some of the really expensive match ammo like Ely? I've ran ammo comparisons on most of the usual bulk ammo. Am I just expecting too much out of a stock rifle?
    One is the basic wood stock carbine with Tech sights and the other is the Ruger 50th anniversary Appleseed rifle. I couldn't see well with the factory sights on it so I bought the Vortex, rings and mount from Allen at A&A. Tried it on both rifles but both shot about the same groups.

Thanks, Matt

3"-4" groups at 100 yds?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That's about what mine was doing stock.
    I changed to the BX trigger group, better scope, and CCI MiniMags 40gr rn. I'm shooting 2" groups on a GOOD day under optimal conditions now.

Quick Edit:

The 10/22 is a fun gun. You'll notice a lot of quality after market offerings for it. I firmly believe the aftermarket options are to improve an average shooting semi auto that usually is very dependable and fun.
    Add on a Kidd or QH kit and the gun is a lot more accurate.
    That's not why I shoot a 10/22 so I'm satisfied where I'm at.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I forgot I do have the BX trigger in my wood stock version. At 25 yds I do shoot it better than the 50th anniversary and the best ammo I found for it was CCI Blazers. Haven't gotten any more of the Blazers since I ran those tests. If you're getting 2" groups on "good" days and optimal conditions maybe this is all I can really expect!

Matt

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What groups are you getting at 50/25? I think expecting 1 inch groups at 100 is expecting way to much, but 2 inch should be doable.

FYI, I shoot a CZ 452, with a manners stock, and match ammo, and a 2.5-10 PST. I shoot about 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm VERY happy WHEN I paste a 2" group.
    I have the Mannlichter International stock and it shoots great out to about 65 yds. After that It's either the rifle or my lousy eyesight.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Stock 10-22 at 100 yards 3-4 inch group isn't bad especially since you are shooting high velocity ammo out of it. Start running standard velocity and I have noticed it improves at distance. especially past 100 yards.

I have a custom 10-22 that I can hold 1 inch groups and better with and several cz's, savages. My marlin 795 runs around 2.5 inches if I do my part. A better trigger is a great upgrade.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Back when I tested ammo, Blazers were the best and Standard velocity CCIs came in a close second. I remember CCI mini-mags were third, tied with another brand I can't recall at the moment. I do remember some high velocity Remington Vipers I think were absolutely horrible. Best I could do was about 4" groups at 25yds. I didn't have any Federal automatch at the time but I shot some last week at 25yds and they did fairly well so that's why I was using them today. I think I have a handful of 100 round boxes of CCI standard velocity. I'll give them a try maybe tomorrow.

At the last Indy1500 one of the vendors told me the Blazers were the same as the CCI standard velocity rounds. I know the Blazers are CCIs but not sure if they're the same round.

Matt

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Try some better ammo. IME the Automatch is fairly close to being bottom of the barrel for accuracy. Doesn't have to be the uber expensive match stuff, even CCI minimags and standard velocity will be a big step up in quality.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    For comparison sake, my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT was just over 2 MOA first time out with CCI standard velocity ammunition at 100 yards with the stock Ruger target trigger. Since then, I've put a BX trigger in it (just under 2-1/2 pounds) and gotten a new set of Protektor bags. I'll see where I end up after that. I'm also running a Leupold 3-9x ultralight rimfire scope with Wind Plex reticle and CDS dial calibrated for 40 to 130 yards.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, the Powerpoint WW stuff cloverleafed at 50 in my Contender rifle.
    When it went off LOL.
    I need to lap the locking bolt and try it again.

Yeah, the Super X stuff is OK, but sometimes a flier.
    Saw that when shooting IHMSA. Bought by the case.

Usually had a dud when on the rams. Not often, but enough to raise an eyebrow.
    Def need to run better ammo if in AAA or higher.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been happy with Blazer and Minimags.
    My old 1022 does not like the Minimags (previous 1022s did better).
    Always got fliers with Wildcat, enough to not even use them squirrel hunting.
    That stuff is for kids to ventilate pop cans.
    Super X used to be good enough. 50 yards and in was pretty decent.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Anybody remember "Supermax"?
    Early WW hyper V stuff.....I had an AMT 10.5" Lightning that LOVED it.
    Of course it cracked the MS housing. But it shot dime sized groups at 25 yards...........iron sights.
    10 shots. Did that back to back........stunned (front bag only).
    Cracked MS housing would open up from bolt slam and it'd go into misfire mode.
    Take apart, tap the gap closed, good for another half a box.
    Shoulda got a Ruger MS housing for it.
    Too hot for that gun or parts..........but man that stuff shot great. Popped chucks with it (hunting rig, not target shooting- so not that much hot stuff really).
    But being AMT it had some error in comsetics......and overall just annoyed me.
    That front sight was sharp and the gun was long, dovetailed for scope rings......I figured I'd just go Contender and .22 mag.

Top Bottom