Looking at a Remington 700 SPS-What are the other options by other Mfgs??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have been an AR guy for many years, but have in the past year become more interested in bolt guns for long range shooting. A friend has a 400 yard range and I have access to another range at a relatives that can go out to 800 yards when the crops are off.

About a year ago a Remington 783 popped up in the INGO classies and I bought it on a whim. Found that I really enjoy the longer range shooting that a 30-06 allows. I put a 4x12x44 Vortex Crossfire II on it and found that I enjoyed the "Boom...wait...PING" that the 30-06 boltie afforded....

All was well until that darned Alan at A&A Optics offered me a refurb Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44 at a price I could not pass up. Now I am shopping for a higher quality rifle in 30-06 than my Remington 783. It just seems wrong to put a $600 scope on a $250-$300 rifle.

The wife was going to surprise me with a Remington 700 SPS for Christmas, but the deal fell through. So, I am shopping for a new rifle.
    I started with the Remington 700 because I am familiar with the Remington product and really grew up shooting Remington rifles. I had a Remington 742 semi auto from 76 until 84 and loved it (it was one of the few that worked very well).

Since I am new to the bolt gun side of shooting, what are the equivalent rifles to the Rem 700 made by Winchester, Savage, Howa, etc?? I am looking for equal (or better) quality of the Rem 700 SPS in 30-06. I want to stick with 30-06 because I already have all the dies, cases, powders and boolits for this caliber.

I know I could Google this question, but I would rather have the opinions of my fellow INGO'ers than random strangers on the internet that may be fan-boys to certain brands.

Sooooooo, in a very wordy fashion, if you didn't buy a Rem 700, what would you buy in it's place?? Budget is $500-$800...Maybe a little more???

This rifle will mainly be used for long range target practice, from prone or a bench, with the chance of occasional hunting (wife owns a little property in Montana) or wasting Yotes at my Dad's place.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Savage
    Not sure if they offer one of the 10 series in '06, but the 10 fp ( F= synthetic P=police) I have in .223 shoots great. I know they had a 10 FP in .308
    The older 10 series were called tactical

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My Remington 700 seems to be higher quality than my Stevens, which is made by Savage I believe. Especially the magazine. I handled my nephew's Ruger American Rifle yesterday and was impressed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am in the process of waiting for my gunsmith to complete my custom Brazilian Mauser in 30.06. He has been working on it since last July. I can't wait to shoot it for the first time. It will be well within your budget.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've been weighing bolt gun options myself and decided on a Ruger Precision 308.
    I love how it's so easy to customize and it takes Magpul Pmags. Rifle came with two 10 rounders.
    I'm a guy that likes to have lots of magazines for every gun, so the Pmag thing was a big part of my decision to choose Ruger.
    It got great reviews and everyone said they were very accurate right out of the box.
    The trigger reminds me of a Savage (which is not a bad thing), but heck I could change that too if I wanted.
    Gander Mtn had the Gen 2 model on special Thanksgiving day for $1149 and they gave me $70 in reloading supplies so I got some V-max 168gr BTHP bullets and some 55gr V-max for my AR.
    I checked my receipt after I got home and saw they didn't charge me sales tax (oops) so I saved another $80 there.
    Can't wait to see how she shoots! :rockwoot:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Check CDNN sports website. Sometimes they have really good deals on some great rifles.

Your self imposed caliber restriction may limit your choices. Set of .300 wsm dies aren't all that expensive and you already gots bullets.

Top Bottom