• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    Are these guns worth anything. Been thinking of getting a 3030 and have one of these that don't get shot much. It's I belive the low grade model. It has rust on it but no pitting.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Model 97's are great shotguns. I have a 16 and a 12 gauge. I think I gave $350-400 for the 12 at a gun show, in nice shape.
    i would clean that rust up before it gets away from you.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They're not quite as valuable as a model 12 in equivalent condition, but there is a collector market for some of them.
    I would definitely very carefully take off as much of that rust as possible without removing the existing bluing, though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    They are used quite extensively in Cowboy Action Shooting. There are a few good gunsmiths that can make these guns sing for that style of competition. Prior to the cowboy action market, these guns were worth about $150. Now, a 97 is worth about $350, more if it is a solid frame (non-takedown model).

Don't touch the gun in any way without having it looked at by a good cowboy action gunsmith.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have one of these that was my grandfather's. Unfortunately, part of the action was poorly re-blued (probably some sort of cold-blue concoction) that a gunsmith helped fix. It runs really well, but only has sentimental value at this point.

Which is more than enough value for me. :)

I do like it, though.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one of these that was my grandfather's. Unfortunately, part of the action was poorly re-blued (probably some sort of cold-blue concoction) that a gunsmith helped fix. It runs really well, but only has sentimental value at this point.

Which is more than enough value for me. :)

I do like it, though.
    My 16 g was my Dad's first shotgun that he bought.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    They are used quite extensively in Cowboy Action Shooting. There are a few good gunsmiths that can make these guns sing for that style of competition. Prior to the cowboy action market, these guns were worth about $150. Now, a 97 is worth about $350, more if it is a solid frame (non-takedown model).

Don't touch the gun in any way without having it looked at by a good cowboy action gunsmith.

I've worked on a hundred+ over my stint as a smith. I'm retired now and they generally require a bit of effort. If you're ever in Greenwood, pm me and I'd be glad to look it over for you and assess what it's worth.

Top Bottom