• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is there some tool out there specific to removing the 870 stock or is it just a certain Allen key size?
    If the latter:

Does anyone know of the Allen key size?
    I have a Magpul SGA, that makes for somewhat of a tight space getting in there. Has anyone removed these and if so, did you have to use a basic allen key or could you get a socket driver in there?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Both my 870s had two standard Phillips screws holding the butt pad on and the stock was bolted to the receiver with a large flat head screw. As far as the Magpul stock is concerned it should have came with the tools needed to install it.

Also Youtube is your friend. Lots of videos on the 870 from full detail breakdown to aftermarket parts install videos.

Last edited:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    3/16" and not a lot of room to maneuver.

870%20Magpul%20Stock%20Bolt%201_zpsbqetggmy.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you can find one with a ball end on the short arm of the wrench. The one you showed only has a ball on the long arm. Good idea, though.

Never seen such an animal. Maybe a ball end Allen key on a socket would be the way to go? I have a set of ball end Allen sockets, mine are Snap-On but I'm sure they could be found at a local hardware store.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you can find one with a ball end on the short arm of the wrench. The one you showed only has a ball on the long arm. Good idea, though.

Use the short end to loosen it up and then the ball end to get it out the rest of the way.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Long flathead screwdriver is all I've ever used on any 870. An opened pair of needle nosed pliers will do a forearm in a pinch as well.

That works on most standard stocks, where you remove the butt of the stock to access that [flat head] bolt. The Magpul SGA stock is a different story. Because of the way the grip is contoured and angled (to resemble an integrated pistol grip), the [hex] bolt itself is accessed by removing a thin rubber thumb-rest pad. A 3/16" Allen key did the trick removing mine (thank you Yamadog35!).

Top Bottom