Looking for handguards with specific specifications.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Hey guys! In the middle of setting up a little 300 BLK. I want to tuck my YHM Phantom Ti 7.62 up under some handguards. So, I'm looking for the lightest possible handguards with an inside diameter over 1.6". Can anybody think of anything suitable before I scour the internet to no end? My favorite handgards are the BCM KMRs, but it's definitely under 1.6". Thanks in advance!

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Seekins makes very light stuff

Aero precision quantum rail maybe?

$60 cheaper. I like it. From the pics, it looks like it uses shims with the barrel nut? I haven't dealt with that before. Do you own one of these?

Also, I'd be running a 8.5" barrel with the YHM QD brake, and the 8.5" Phantom. I'm assuming a 15" handguard wouldn't give me enough real-estate to get the can tightened up or removed. It would look better, but I'll probably be stuck with 12" handguards.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I own one but on an enhanced upper but have installed them for several people I know. Half the time you need shims other half you don't. Standard ar15 armorer's wrench (not magpul) and maybe a torque wrench. Lines right up

I'd go 12" just to get to the suppressor

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I own one but on an enhanced upper but have installed them for several people I know. Half the time you need shims other half you don't. Standard ar15 armorer's wrench (not magpul) and maybe a torque wrench. Lines right up

I'd go 12" just to get to the suppressor

"Not Magpul". That figures. Ha ha!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have used the Seekins MCSR V2 and the Aero Enhanced M-Lok for different "tucked suppressor" builds. The Aero's are a bit tight around my Phantom M2. To be sure you can clear the hand guard, I would go with the MCSR V2.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have a Seekins 10" on a recent pistol build (pic below). Don't know the weight but just measured with calipers at the end and it is 1.79" inside.
    I also have an Odin Works M-Lok 12.5" that I haven't installed on anything yet. Their website says it's 10.34 oz but I just weighed mine with barrel nut at 9.7oz. Measured inside at 1.591"
    OdinWorks

INGO195%20Pistol_zpsm0djazft.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The Seekins, Aero, and Spikes handguards with 1.8" ID's are all eerily similar. Almost like one company is making them and they're being re-badged.....

Anyway, I'd pick your favorite out of those three. They're all nice.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    The Seekins MCSR V2 is the lightest if you ask me. It also had the easier barrel nut mounting set up. I would choose it again for sure. Here is it on my INGO .300BLK build (now with SBR paperwork :)

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Another option to consider are the gator grip handguards by Apex Machining. They have a pretty generous ID and are fairly light. Don't know how they compare price-wise, though.

Top Bottom