• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Winchester 67A single shot .22 my Dad bought for me in the 1950's for $ 7.50 at an auction. I found a scope rail that would mount to the rear sight dovetail and put a pistol scope on it.

I was impressed with the accuracy I got with the 1 1/2 power scope, so I put a 6-21 AO scope on it.

On a day with no wind, it gave me a 5/8 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards. I was amazed. I recommend you look into the older .22's.

Some of them shoot pretty good.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That was my first gun. That gun may have not been a "tack driver" but it was a roofing nail driver with the open sights at about 50 feet. Wish I still had it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That would be impressive accuracy from most centerfires, but that scope is nearly as big as the rifle itself!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some time ago now a friend of mine called asking if I would be interested in purchasing some older firearms that had belonged to his grandfather.
    The friend was in a pinch and needed cash.
    I bought a "Frankengun" from him.
    It was a Winchester 1885 Low-Wall that had been rebarreled decades earlier.

The 1885 Low-Wall came from the factory chambered for .22short.
    Sometime down the line, someone put a custom birch stock on it with a fantastic cheek-riser.
    It had been rebarreled using a .22Lr barrel from a Winchester model 52.

I found out later that the model 52 is widely considered one of Winchesters most accurate offerings of the time.
    For those unaware of the 1885 Low-Wall, it is a single-shot, falling block lever-action.
    It is by FAR my favorite target rifle, and the most accurate .22 I own.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have a Model 67 from the mid 1930's that my grandfather bought on his 10th birthday. It has almost no rifling left from being shot so much. I try to get it out in the woods at least once a year.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That would be impressive accuracy from most centerfires, but that scope is nearly as big as the rifle itself!

:): Yeah, you're right. I think a third of the weight of the rig is the scope. It sure is fum to play sniper with little dots that come with the Shoot n' See targets.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a early production Winchester 67 that I picked up in a pawnshop in Hinesville, GA back in the mid-80s. IIRC they wanted $18 for it, I paid $11. Bolt was so full of dirt and gunk it wouldn't fire, bore so fouled it looked like a smoothbore. Cleaned it up and it shoots surprisingly well, quarter size or better groups at 25 yds are easy even with the lousy irons. With SV and shorts the firing pin hitting the case is almost louder than the report.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This sight from Marbles will replace the rear sight and may give better accuracy.

BULLSEYE REAR SIGHT | Brownells

I have one on a Marlin Papoose and it works really well. I'd put one on my 67A if I wasn't having so much fun playing sniper. Maybe I need another old Winchester.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    My best shooting .22 is a Winchester model 77 that was my Grandpa's. Haven't tried it at 100 yards but at 50 all holes will be touching if I do my part. Old .22s are awesome.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I made one of the best shots of my life that I'll never forget with an old beat up Winchester 67. It's on my bucket list to buy one if I ever come across a good example of one. Nice rifle without a doubt.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have one of these myself. Super nice shooter, unfortunately it doesn't see much range time but it's very sentimental

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have both a 67a and a 67 stashed for my grandsons. My family has a 67 that has virtually no finish on the wood or metal that was my grandfaters coon hunting gun and and was the gun carried by everyone od his six grandsons at one time or another growing up on the family rabbit hunt/thanksgiving dinner. A lot of fine memories whenever i see that gun.

Steve

Top Bottom