• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So I'm thinking of an Appleseed-style build for a 10/22, and I know what I want but they seem hard to come by so I'm looking at an alternate idea...

I'd like to base on one of the Lipseys 10/22 22" sporter barrel models, but they seem to be limited run and always out of stock, I mainly want the longer sight radius and tech sights or Williams peep. The bare barrels are not available and everything else would likely be swapped out for Kidd components...
    Green River makes a 24" sporter barrel, so how hard would it be to install a factory Roger band with dovetail or drill and tap for a Williams ramp and dovetail for a front globe? That way I would have to buy a whole gun (if I could even find one) for just the barrel... I haven't even seen the 22" bare barrels on Gunbroker anywhere

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I know a lot of shooters got their marksman patch with old beater stock 10-22s. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I'm going to have to go with a scope before I'll be able to score a patch.

Matt

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I know a lot of shooters got their marksman patch with old beater stock 10-22s. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I'm going to have to go with a scope before I'll be able to score a patch.

Matt

Not looking to shoot Appleseed with it, just make it that style.
    I was taught to shoot with a scope and don't have any long guns without an optic (most don't even have sights), and from that lesson, when my son is old enough (and responsible enough) to learn to shoot, it will NOT be starting with an optic, and if I'll be using it too, I want the longer sighting radius, just out of personal preference and aesthetic reasons. I also want the customization and parts availability of the 10/22 platform.

Couldn't remember if the standard 10/22 barrels used a band and ramp for the front sight, or if the "band" was actually machined as part of the barrel... And if it is a band, not sure what the nominal barrel OD is under it, or the OD at the end of the Green River barrel, though I'm sure I can find that from them.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The standard 10/22 front sight is dovetailed into a band that is machined into the barrel.

Based upon what you've written, I don't understand why you want to start with a complete Ruger 10/22 rifle and swap out all the parts except the receiver. Just start with a KIDD receiver, or pick up just a stripped Ruger 10/22 receiver from Gun Broker.

When you feel your son is ready, the two of you should attend a Revere's Riders basic rifle course together. They'll teach both of you how to properly use iron sights to make very, very accurate shots.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The standard 10/22 front sight is dovetailed into a band that is machined into the barrel.

Based upon what you've written, I don't understand why you want to start with a complete Ruger 10/22 rifle and swap out all the parts except the receiver. Just start with a KIDD receiver, or pick up just a stripped Ruger 10/22 receiver from Gun Broker.

When you feel your son is ready, the two of you should attend a Revere's Riders basic rifle course together. They'll teach both of you how to properly use iron sights to make very, very accurate shots.

The whole point is I DON'T really want to start out with a whole 10/22 when I only want that barrel, hence the question about the difficulty of using the Green River 24" barrel with factory sight base. Since the band is machined as part of the factory barrel, the Green Mountain barrel would have to use an aftermarket band/ramp base, or ramp base for the FS, either protected post (Tech-Sight /M1/AR-style) or Globe front.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    While I get there is a 10/22 marketed appleseed rifle?
    There's a reason they call it 'rifleman'. And it has little to do with the model/quality of rifle.
    I shot my first rifleman with a beater 1970 10/22 hand me down from my father in cold November rain. After that first experience, I realized that it mattered little, what rifle I held in my hands from then on. It's all about the fundamentals.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's still some marlin 795 LTR's out there and I looked for one as recently as this last week but they're around $300 and if you don't value the ticket to an Applebee's that comes with it then it's a waste.

I thought there was a factory 10-22 that was an anniversary model that came with something very similar to the tech sights, but also had their convertible stock. That may be a nice option for you.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was curious after reading this thread and searched for a barrel like you want. It looks like you'll be better off taking something like a Kidd heavy taper barrel to a gunsmith. I bet Allen could add a dovetail for a factory style front sight.

I have an old long barrel Stevens 22LR with a dovetail.

rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    West of Indy
    10-22_light_weight-4_1024x1024.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Clark used to make a 20" factory contour no sights match bbl, just checked..........no longer avail.
    Standard contour or even bull bbl............could just turn down the end and clamp, thread or silver solder a front sight assembly/base.
    Just depends on what front sight system/type u want.

Top Bottom