• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm toying with buying a 14.5" barrel to pin/weld for a short as legal lightweight 5.56 AR truck gun. Not looking for a suppressor option.

As far as overall value, what brake would you folks recommend to permanently tie to this barrel?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ooh, a $50 comp. I like that recommendation.

What is the typical cost to have the pin/weld done? Is the weld something a home DIY'er could do?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you don't mind my asking...

Why in the world do you want a brake on a 14.5" barrel? Do you know how loud that is going to be?

And besides that, usually brakes are used on rifles that are a little heavier and longer barrels, because if you wanted the lowest recoil, you wouldn't have chosen a shorty.

Just wondering.

-Nate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you don't mind my asking...

Why in the world do you want a brake on a 14.5" barrel? Do you know how loud that is going to be?

And besides that, usually brakes are used on rifles that are a little heavier and longer barrels, because if you wanted the lowest recoil, you wouldn't have chosen a shorty.

Just wondering.

-Nate

Maybe I don't.
    That's part of the reason I'm asking. I have only shot 16" barrels. Didn't consider that 1.5" shorter would make that much difference. :dunno:

seedubs1

Master
    Jan 17, 2013
    BCM a2x. It's just an extended a2 specifically for making a 14.5" legal. Cheap, simple, and effective.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but unless you pin and weld this device, it's still not legal?

If the barrel is 14.5" long, you can avoid the rifle falling under NFA rules by permanently attaching a flash hider/brake/etc. Pining and welding is a favorite way to do this.

If you put any flash hider/brake/etc. on a 16" or longer barrel, you don't need to permanently attach anything. It's already of legal length.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you want a brake, comp or flash hider?
    My apologies if I haven't made things as clear as I should or confused brakes and comps.

I want a comp of some sort. I run Spike's Dynacomps on my current AR and .308 Scout rifle. I have grown used to the muzzle staying pretty flat.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If the barrel is 14.5" long, you can avoid the rifle falling under NFA rules by permanently attaching a flash hider/brake/etc. Pining and welding is a favorite way to do this.

If you put any flash hider/brake/etc. on a 16" or longer barrel, you don't need to permanently attach anything. It's already of legal length.
    I understand and know the law, I read the post as he bought that one to make it legal, but didn't pin and weld, therefore it still wouldn't be legal. Maybe he's got it on a 16, that's just not how I understood his post?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I understand and know the law, I read the post as he bought that one to make it legal, but didn't pin and weld, therefore it still wouldn't be legal. Maybe he's got it on a 16, that's just not how I understood his post?

If you are talking about King 31, then I agree .....

Quote, is a WONDERFUL THING .....

POB

Plinker
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    If this is going to be a truck gun then why not just take a torch to it and solder what you want on it, then later heat it back up and trade it out to something else. Soldering makes it perfectly legal though it may discolor your barrel ...or it may not.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    On my 14.5" upper build, I went with a Lantac Dragon. Works really well. I had AllenM do the pin and weld.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If this is going to be a truck gun then why not just take a torch to it and solder what you want on it, then later heat it back up and trade it out to something else. Soldering makes it perfectly legal though it may discolor your barrel ...or it may not.

Oh, I was under the impression it had to be permanent to be legal.

I can solder, if this is legit. What about the "pinning"?

Part of my concern (especially with my favored Dynacomp) is wearing out the comp before the barrel? Another is innovative technology bringing us a much better comp next year, after I committed this barrel to the older device.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I would highly recommend the VG6 Gamma Ex. I think it will do what you want but not be to harsh on the concussion. If you want to tame it down you can add a CAGE devise overtop of it to knock down the signature even more. Best all around I have used. Second place is the BCM Mod 1.

Top Bottom