• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I recently traded for a millet trs1 and it came with a Burris pepr mount. I know these are great on ars but will it hold up to a 308 bolt gun or would I be better off selling or trading it off for a quality pair of rings? Also if rings are needed what would you guys recommend for under $100? The gun is a savage 10 fcp-sr that will hopefully be in tomorrow.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would opt for a set of rings rather than something designed for an AR style rifle. Lot's of reasons for that, the biggest probably being the ability to mount the optic closer to the bore, thus making it easier to get a good cheek weld.

30MM rings are extremely common, and it shouldn't be hard to find something of good quality in that price range. I tend to put Badger Ordnance rings on all my rifles, and have bought several used sets for around $100. The fit / finish on them is absolutely perfect, and I prefer steel to aluminum or other alloys.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011

Well thanks to Bob at pss for getting the rifle in relatively quick and giving me a great price as well. And yup I'm definitely going to need low rings for sure. I got one recommendation for badger ordinance, what's everyone else running? Weaver, Leopold, vortex, millet? Also, anyone have any ammo recommendations? I know each gun is an individual but what generally runs good in a 1 in 10 twist rate? This is my first 308 that I can actually afford to feed. Thanks ingo!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    With a 1:10 barrel it's going to prefer the heavier side. Start at 165gr bullets and go up. If your doing factory ammo fggm 168 and 175 will be fine. When the military ran 1:10 they used 172gr bullets

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I picked up some Austrian 7.62 to get it on paper and a box of 175gr gold medal for fine tuning the zero. Has anyone tried any of freedom munitions ammo? I've been wanting to get into roasting and this might just be the kick in the pants.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville

Well thanks to Bob at pss for getting the rifle in relatively quick and giving me a great price as well. And yup I'm definitely going to need low rings for sure. I got one recommendation for badger ordinance, what's everyone else running? Weaver, Leopold, vortex, millet? Also, anyone have any ammo recommendations? I know each gun is an individual but what generally runs good in a 1 in 10 twist rate? This is my first 308 that I can actually afford to feed. Thanks ingo!

Im partial to warne QD steel rings. Low will be good since you already have a 1 piece base.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    An AR style cantilever mount is going to sit the scope way to high above the bore axis for my liking. Nice set of low mount rings would probably be better served....

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I guess I should give an update. I put some weaver tactical medium rings on it and got it out on Christmas eve. I can get a decent cheek weld but I think I will be switching to low mounts as I prefer a low cheek weld.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The lowest rings possible for Weaveror Picatinny bases that I know of are the traditional (the ones with the screws on only one side of the top ring clamp and a hook on the other side) Weaver brand low mounts.
    I'm not talking about one of the many clones out there, but the ones made by Weaver themselves
    If there's another brand's model that goes any lower, it would be a huge surprise, and you'll know why once you see how these Weaver rings are.
    As a nice little bonus, Weaver still makes their traditional rings in USA.

Top Bottom