• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I am toying around with the idea of building an AR-15 for home defense. I don't own an AR and I've certainly never built one, but I think I'm up to the task and it would be a fun project for me and my brother. So, if you were going to build an AR-15 for HD, what would you have in it and why? I'm looking for ideas to get me started. TIA!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I spent more than I needed, but then my HD AR was a fun project and I still toy with it from time to time. Anyway, HD is going to be close range so iron sights are fine, laser is cool, I went with a used AGOC I found on the internet. HD usually means short barrel, I didn't want to get into stamps and all that jazz so 16" was fine for me. I went with stainless and fluted...because it looked cool. PSA had most of the parts on the cheap, but I upgraded the trigger with a RRA match trigger for a hundo...again...because. Hydrodipped...because... You'll want to make sure the buffer tube and the stock are the same - either both mil-spec or both commercial, but they will not fit each other if they're mixed.

Be aware you'll need some special tools like a spanner wrench for the buffer tube and other various tools...a vice and mag well holder is nice. If you're building the upper gonna need torque wrench for the barrel...

Anyway, here's mine. It was and continues to be a lot of fun to play with.

Carbine%201_zpsuejk3qfw.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Carbine%202_zpsnqx2sndr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Carbine%205_zps5lgattys.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Feel free to ask anything you like.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    :spend::spend::spend:Think I would go light weight and short as I could. Flashlight is a must. Depending on where you live and how much ground you have to defend would determine caliber choice. I prefer metal GI mags. You could couple two together with different ammo. Have fragiable loaded if things go outside switch over to FMJ.

All kinds of stuff you could do. Like always you wallet will dictate.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    :spend::spend::spend:Think I would go light weight and short as I could. Flashlight is a must. Depending on where you live and how much ground you have to defend would determine caliber choice. I prefer metal GI mags. You could couple two together with different ammo. Have fragiable loaded if things go outside switch over to FMJ.

All kinds of stuff you could do. Like always you wallet will dictate.

This. Short as possible. And a red dot. The longer the optic tube the harder it is to use in close quarters especially corners.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Light and short. Quality BCG, barrel, trigger, and red dot.

Mine has a BA Hanson 14.5" pinned and welded to 16" so no stamp needed, Noveske BCG, Elftmann trigger, and I run a Trijicon MRO on it. It's as light as I think is reliable in a combat situation without going SBR. It's the bottom one in the pic below, only with the Trijicon on it now.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any AR will work so long as it is reliable and has a flashlight. Target and threat identification is paramount. Also, it would not hurt to have a quality red dot, trigger, bcg, and stock. What is your budget on this? We may be able to point you toward some specific products that work well for us.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    14.5" midlength with permanent muzzle device
    12-13" handguard (MI G3K, CMMG RKM, or similar)
    ACS-L
    SSA-E
    AimpointPRO
    Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2
    Pmags of Federal Fusion 62gr

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For home defense definitely build it reliable.

But keep in mind if you sink extra money into it beyond a basically reliable firearm that if God forbid you ever have to actually use it for self defense and the police are involved afterward, consider they may take it for "evidence" and you may never see it again.
    You'll be out a lot more money than you would've needed to be.

TheARfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Avon
    I'd go with a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system for reliability, a good comfy stock (I recommend Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock), a red dot such as an aimpoint PRO or Eotech, back up iron sights, a good tac light and a sling. Keep it simple, and only buy quality stuff. You see too many people with crappy airsoft quality optics, lasers, lights, bipods and what not thrown on their "Home defense gun" and thats just a recipe for disaster.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Build a 10.5"/11.5" pistol with whatever brace fits comfortably into your shoulder pocket. You know, in case it actually ended up there in an emergency.

ETA: and get a suppressor so you can hear if you actually had to use it for indoor self defense.

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Sort and light imo. I did a build around a Faxon Gunner 14.5" barrel and really liked it. Another good online store for parts is AIM Surplus. Good prices and most parts ship free.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I personally would NOT have my first AR build be a dedicated home defense rifle.

A BCM Recce 14 will check all the boxes, and while not cheap, there will be NO ISSUE with its reliability which is paramount for HD. For less money, I'd seriously look at a Colt 6920 or a Springfield SAINT.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally, I wouldn't put a giessele SSA-E in a home defense build. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but it's a lot of money for a trigger that's for home defense. At roughly half the price, my HD Ar15 has a CMC trigger, and my coyote rifle has the SSA-E.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Valid point on the trigger; a G2S or even an ALG ACT would be more budget-friendly yet still an immense upgrade over a crappy milspec FCG.

I personally find value in commonality between all my lowers that justifies it; others may not.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    This is what I have, a 14.5" barrel and an Aimpoint Pro red dot. I have others but like this the most for the size. I know I need a light.
    c2RCeNI.jpg
    [/IMG]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom