• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I picked up a new Howa 1500 in .308 and had only been able to get out to the indoor range at 25 yards to fire a box of 20 rounds, performing the manufacturers break in procedure of swabbing. This is my third Howa and they have all been tack drivers. I used Winchester Power Points for the break in and my last group of three shots free handed at 25 yards were two in the same hole and the third touching the other two holes. I was pleased.

My dad took the rifle to site it in at 100 yards at his club. He sent me a pic and said he couldn't get the Hornady American Whitetail .308 150gr ammo to site in. He said they represented the black dots where he covered the holes. He said he finally switches over to the 150gr power points that he uses and he said the the last 4 shots you can see were all done with power points. He said the first two shots were to the right but grouped well and the final two shots are around the black diamond bull.

I am pretty bummed to hear this. Now my dad is 76 and has some eye issues but he qualified as a marksman back in basic and is a pretty good shot. He isn't the most patient person in his old age so he can sometimes rush things. The last 4 shots though make me think he was taking his time. I have used Winchester Power Points before and harvested deer but I didn't get the knock down performance I was hoping for. The exit wounds were fairly small and I had read great things about these American Whitetail rounds knock down power and accuracy.

Do you guys think my new gun just doesn't like these rounds? I know my Howa 1500 .223 doesn't care for Hornady Superformance ammo but with clover leaf PMC and Remington FMJ all day long.

Thoughts?

attachment.php

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What is the twist rate of the barrel? My Rem 700 SPS .308 didn't do well with 150 grs, Federal Gold Match 168 grs at 100 yards all three shots touching each other.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom