Tavor SAR vs. X95--Which Is Better & Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've had my eye on the SAR for a while now, then ran across the X95 which is new to me. I've held the SAR but not shot it; never seen the X95 in person. One of these days, when finances permit, I hope to end up with one of them, but most likely won't be able to get both. Sooooo...please help me make up my mind which one to focus on when I'm talking it up to The Boss of Me!

Who owns/shoots both--which one do you prefer and why? What do you like/dislike the most about either one??

And thanks in advance for any/all helpful advice!!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    First off, I am mostly a purist when it comes to most firearms. I own an SAR, I have not handled an X95, but to me the X95 is the result of a lot of internet complaining by the American shooter.
    I like the SAR because it is the closest representation to what the IDF is issued.
    In fact here is a pic of my bull pups, although I have since sold the FS 2000 (middle rifle) my Tavor is wearing an Urban ERT sling and a Leupold Firedot scope in a Leupold mount.

attachment.php

Tavor is on the left, far right is an original PS90 with a Gen. 2 trigger pack and built in optic.
    Also on my Tavor I did have the original Flash hider removed and an ACC blackout hider professionally installed at USDS in Greenwood.

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    X95 is basically a product improved tavor. At this point, I would probably buy an x95. Although I wish we could have the IDF version with the shorter overall length.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Do not buy the sar unless you plan to dump $400 into making the trigger shootable. The x95 comes with the better trigger.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    223G--lots of beauty sitting right there. Good thing I have such a limited budget or I'd be really jealous!
    TF--I was allowed to dry-fire the SAR, and the trigger did feel way too heavy for my taste. And I've looked into the aftermarket trigger packs too... Would like to feel the X95 to see if it fits my shoulder better or worse than the SAR before I obsessed about the trigger though.

I truly loved how the SAR felt, how naturally and easily it came into line with my eye, and the overall feel of it weight-wise. I can only hope that the X95 feels much the same.

I do kind of like the different accessorizing points on the 95, but just don't know if it would feel better/shoot & reload better than the original SAR.

While I'm at it, does it really make any difference between the 18" and 16.5" barrel versions???

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have the SAR and love it. Very accurate and easy to shoot. I need to practice mag changes under stress because I am so used to the AR platform and it is vastly different. I like the fact that the X95 has the same mag release function as the AR platform but I don't think it would be enough to make me sell the SAR to get one. I was told by vitamink that the SAR is more accurate but our conversation was cut short before I could get more information.

If you ever want to shoot my SAR, let me know. I have both a stock and Geissele trigger for it.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    [video=youtube_share;c4Azu7WdqWo]http://youtu.be/c4Azu7WdqWo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;9155MuJcT88]http://youtu.be/9155MuJcT88[/video]

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    While I'm at it, does it really make any difference between the 18" and 16.5" barrel versions???[/QUOTE]

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy the 18 inch barrel version of the SAR

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the input. And Frank, I may just have to take you up on your offer--I'd love to actually shoot one so I can figure out if it feels as good shooting as it does holding one. Probably get me in trouble though...I have a feeling it might go from desire to obsession afterwards, and the wife has some pretty strong opinions about finance priorities...sigh. :dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the input. And Frank, I may just have to take you up on your offer--I'd love to actually shoot one so I can figure out if it feels as good shooting as it does holding one. Probably get me in trouble though...I have a feeling it might go from desire to obsession afterwards, and the wife has some pretty strong opinions about finance priorities...sigh. :dunno:

I understand. I had to save up extra job money and sell my AR to get it. Just let me know when you want to try to shoot it. If you have a range that you frequent, I could probably meet you there.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I were to do it all over again, I would buy the 18 inch barrel version of the SAR

Spot-on... To me the X95 is CQB all the way; the SAR is less of a one-trick pony.

tbhausen says he would come to that range party with his 18" SAR. His wears a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6 so it's about as do it all as a Tavor gets.

Last edited:

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wow. Y'all are SURE to get me into trouble, aren't ya?!?!?!

What's everybody doing the first week of January? I'm on winter break and could go pretty much anywhere I can use gps to find. The closest range to me is Point Blank in Carmel, which is strictly a short distance range.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got the SAR with an MRO on it. I've also got the 9mm conversion kit so that I could shoot it at Friday Night Steel, which I've done about 3 or 4 times now. This thing is a hoot, and it is really fast in switching from target to target.

Btw, the trigger is heavy, but feels great, to me. A heavy trigger does not make a bad trigger. Revolvers have heavy triggers, but I don't hear a lot of complaints about them. Anyway, I have no trouble with accuracy from my SAR.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Wow. Y'all are SURE to get me into trouble, aren't ya?!?!?!

What's everybody doing the first week of January? I'm on winter break and could go pretty much anywhere I can use gps to find. The closest range to me is Point Blank in Carmel, which is strictly a short distance range.

I work nights so my schedule is usually pretty open between noon-7p.

Top Bottom