• KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Why do I need .300?

I have an SBR AR, so, .300 would be easy. My question is why?

I have stuck primarily to Nato calibers, for simplicity. I currently stock 9mm in 147, and 115. 5.56 in 55gr and 77gr for the MK 12. .45acp, and .308 match grade stuff for the bolt gun.

What would .300 do that the above calibers wont.

I want to understand.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What's this "need" thing you speak of? Why not? I've got an upper coming. I don't "need" it, but I've convinced myself that it will work better than 5.56 for one specific reason. That's all I "need". I see it as something different, I like variety and sometimes I get bored.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Easy sell. Just do it.

All seriousness though, I wanted a trunk gun, and since .300BLK is optimized for shorter barrels, makes a bigger hole than .223, and isn't as concussive as an equally short .223, it was a no brainer. I have an 8.5" pistol that fits in a tennis racket case.

I also needed another excuse to get into reloading, and since I convert my own brass it is cheap.

Did I need it? No. Is it super awesome? Yes

You already have an SBR lower, all you need is an upper. Wouldn't cost much to get you there. I wanna say my upper was like $350 and I am very inpressed with the accuracy thus far.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    What's this "need" thing you speak of? Why not? I've got an upper coming. I don't "need" it, but I've convinced myself that it will work better than 5.56 for one specific reason. That's all I "need". I see it as something different, I like variety and sometimes I get bored.

Help me. What's the specific reason that it's better than 5.56?

I've got an SBR lower to pin it on and a can to run sub sonic through. My problem, and I might be wrong, I just don't see the niche it fill over what I already have. Teach me INGO.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Help me. What's the specific reason that it's better than 5.56?

I've got an SBR lower to pin it on and a can to run sub sonic through. My problem, and I might be wrong, I just don't see the niche it fill over what I already have. Teach me INGO.
    Are bigger holes not better? I am putting a 16" carbine together, I didn't want another pistol and am not going down the SBR/suppressor road, for HD and coyote use around the house.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm still in the process of assembling mine. For now it's going to go on my INGO lower in pistol configuration. I'm just building it for a fun gun. I cast & reload so it will be something that I can shoot fairly cheap. It's easy to suppress so I can shoot it here at the farm without bothering the wife or anyone else. Since it's not going to be a serious gun I was able to build it fairly cheap. I went with a PSA 8.5" that has a 1:7 twist and no BCG since I already had a spare. I had some other parts laying around so that helped as well.

For me it's just a fun little gun that I can cast & reload for. It will probably never see full power or factory ammo.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well, I'm out of good reasons. Other than just because. I really like mine, I have an AR and a RAR. Both are fun little guns.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Are bigger holes not better? I am putting a 16" carbine together, I didn't want another pistol and am not going down the SBR/suppressor road, for HD and coyote use around the house.
    I've got two .45 SBRs that make really big holes, and are ballistically equal to sub sonic .300, and the ammo is half the price. Suppressed, they are as quiet as .300, and, again, make bigger holes.

Ive had these arguments with myself, while trying to justify it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Easy sell. Just do it.

All seriousness though, I wanted a trunk gun, and since .300BLK is optimized for shorter barrels, makes a bigger hole than .223, and isn't as concussive as an equally short .223, it was a no brainer. I have an 8.5" pistol that fits in a tennis racket case.

I also needed another excuse to get into reloading, and since I convert my own brass it is cheap.

Did I need it? No. Is it super awesome? Yes

You already have an SBR lower, all you need is an upper. Wouldn't cost much to get you there. I wanna say my upper was like $350 and I am very inpressed with the accuracy thus far.
    This post is my best guess for explaining the popularity. It reloads with existing components. I guess my problem is I don't reload.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've got two .45 SBRs that make really big holes, and are ballistically equal to sub sonic .300, and the ammo is half the price. Suppressed, they are as quiet as .300, and, again, make bigger holes.

That changes my argument. I saw the SBR AR in the first post, but assumed the 45's listed were handguns. With SBR 45's there really isn't anything to gain other than the "it's something different" factor. :):

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

Well we all know .45 is an outdated old man round. All the cool kids are shooting the hip .300.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What would .300 do that the above calibers wont?

Accidentally chamber in a 5.56 upper and blow your **** up?

photo-1.jpg

Top Bottom