Do we really need a bigger charging handle on our ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Again, I start this type of thread with "My military friend said" you don't need a larger charging handle on your gun. Stock is better because that's how the gun was built with and it works well enough for the military, don't change what isn't broken, etc. A larger charging handle, like the one I got, the BCM Mod 3, will get caught in things and easier to break off.

How much truth is that and does anyone think changing out the charging handle from the stock is just extra problems down the road and should we keep our charging handles small like how it was originally designed?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never used anything other than the GI charging handle. I've never missed it when I needed to use it. I would rather not have a larger one that's easier to snag on stuff, personally.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I run extended handles to make charging easier for fingers to clear optics mostly.
    The BCM large handle is easily charged swiping from the side with my little finger.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I have a BCM Mod 4 on one of my guns but if I had to do it over again I would probably go down a size. I can see where it can help in the cold wearing gloves though

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I shoot at outdoor range 99% of the time, even in the winter. It's nice to have a large latch to grab on when wearing my mittens.

Wish I've bought more when BCM has the blem's for $27 a piece few years ago.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If your going to two finger it from both sides like the grunts do, keep the GI style one.

The extended ones are made for civies with scopes that prevent the two finger method.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I personally run extended charging handles. I am not going into combat anytime soon. LE or Military guys, they will make their own choices, I shoot at civilian outdoor ranges, all times of the year as mentioned above by another member.
    I think they have more benefits than negatives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I personally run extended charging handles. I am not going into combat anytime soon. LE or Military guys, they will make their own choices, I shoot at civilian outdoor ranges, all times of the year as mentioned above by another member.
    I think they have more benefits than negatives.

Agreed.

Do I really need to spend that much for a "Bigger-Better" CH (X's 8)..........no.
    Do I want/choose to............Yup.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've never seen a GI CH break, but I know it happens. It was designed for an older style manual of arms that would put you in the mind of something on the parade ground. They've been made for 50 years now, and the lowest bidder gets the work.

The BCM CH is so much nicer. It is beefed up to accommodate a more modern manual of arms, which places lateral stress on the pin which the original wasn't designed to handle. If you don't like the bigger latches, which I don't, they offer more modest sizes. They really shouldn't snag if you don't have your gear flapping in the wind like a cherry. The BCM also incorporates a rib to help with blowback from suppressors. I have no idea if that part actually works or not, as my can is still in NFA jail.

Top Bottom