• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    I'm looking for a bolt action rifle (doesn't necessarily need a scope on it since I can always buy one to put on), my maximum budget is around $600. My biggest concern is accuracy anywhere between 100-400 yds, my husband's main concern is availability of ammo and price.
    Help me out, thank you.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    If you don't plan on toting it around the woods all day the R700 varmint in .308 will fit the bill. Catch them on sale for $400ish and have some money to scope and stock it. But they are not light; a 26in heavy barrel will be a burden after a day of walking the deer trails.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Take a look at the Savage Hog Hunter in either 223 or 308. Great accuracy with a lot of nice features at a price well under your budget.

[video=youtube;eZC7hH0rfhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC7hH0rfhI[/video]

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Thanks so far guys, well as far as purpose goes.... I wouldn't say we're those prepper nuts but I'm looking for a weapon that can do both - feed us (large game like the whitetails around here) and also take down any would-be home invader easily at 100-400 yds which I suspect is the distance of the road to our house. If ***** ever hits the fan and we have to defend our home, I want a weapon that I can either be poking out of a window or on top of the roof and just able to take 'em out.
    But again, to also hunt with.... I've never gone hunting before, but my son is almost 5 and that is something I want him to learn and I feel I should learn and do myself as well. I'd much rather live off the land than from the grocery store.
    I sound crazy, don't I?

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Savage 110 either 243 or 308 since both are legal calibers for deer in Indiana but 223 is not. if u wanna go even cheaper the savage axis/edge rifles which would leave some money for a trigger upgrade and optics. remington 700 is also good gun but kinda pricey compared to savage rifles.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Remington 700s in .308 are decently cheap and ammo is readily available almost anywhere. I personally like the police or tactical models with the shorter barrels, they just seem to balance nicer.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    25.06 is an easy round to shoot with flat trajectory and enough weight to bring deer down.

Not legal (yet) in Indiana.
    It would be an excellent choice once the trial period for the two centerfire bore diameters is expired and the law is expanded.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Given your price range, Ruger American in .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or .30-06 Springfield.
    All are calibers for which it's very easy to find high quality and affordable factory ammo.
    All are legal under the new law that allows specific centerfire bore diameters for deer firearms season.
    All would serve equally well for hunting and defense at extended or very close range.
    All lend themselves very well to reloading, with a wide selection of bullets and usable powders.
    The rifle is Ruger's more affordable bolt gun, although I would still prefer an M77 variant with walnut stock, but your budget would probably bring you to about $100 below the current M77, the Hawkeye.
    You could look for arguably the finest permutation of the M77, the tang safety version, if you're will to find one on the used market in excellent condition.
    I bought my own tang safety M77 .30-06 new in 1989, and I intend to keep it in the family; I love it that much.
    This rifle took its first ever deer on opening day this year.
    The results were decisive; ten steps and down.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If hunting rifle--->Tikka T3 in 308
    If sitting on a bench for precision--->Savage in 308 with a heavy barrel

I'm going to throw my vote towards the Tikka also. Guaranteed accuracy, slick bolt, decent synthetic stock, excellent trigger. I've got 2, a T3 Lite in 223 and a T3 Hunter in 6.5x55. Both are easily sub MOA, the 223 will do close to .5" if I do my part. Whittaker's over near Owensboro has some in stock starting at $560. Only fault I can find with the Tikkas is that spare magazines are rather expensive.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    I'm going to throw my vote towards the Tikka also. Guaranteed accuracy, slick bolt, decent synthetic stock, excellent trigger. I've got 2, a T3 Lite in 223 and a T3 Hunter in 6.5x55. Both are easily sub MOA, the 223 will do close to .5" if I do my part. Whittaker's over near Owensboro has some in stock starting at $560. Only fault I can find with the Tikkas is that spare magazines are rather expensive.

This isn't a bad option either. As tikka are becoming more popular they are starting to see a bit of aftermarket support for things like triggers and stocks and hopefully magazines.

Top Bottom