Bolt action synthetic stock mods/rigs/add ons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm shooting a 2003/4 Savage bolt gun with a factory synthetic stock. I would like to eventually upgrade to a new stock from Boyd's. However I want to experiment with the stock I have before I have one made. There are some areas where I can immediately see a need for improvement.
    1. Comb height- I'm looking for methods to add on a makeshift riser so that when brought into position my eye is in line with the scope. Thought I might be able to screw on a strip of wood and pad it with different thicknesses of foam pipe insulation. Any thoughts or experience there would be helpful.

2. LOP. I know there are commercially available spacers. I may also cut a block of wood or two until I find a length that works.

3. Stiffening/ weighting stock. I have read a couple articles on placing rods into the fore stock and epoxying them in. Also read a few on adding foam and lead shot inside the butt end. I have no experience in properly bedding a rifle this way, but it does interest me. Thoughts and experience here as well. I know that these mods will be eliminated when the stock is replaced with the one from Boyd, but it might be fun to try and produce some decent target results. Currently shooting about 1 1/4 MOA at 100yds. I am hoping that along with more practice and a proper fit I can knock that down into the 3/4 to 1/2 MOA range. Small incremental steps into becoming a better shooter.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    One of the easiest and "best" mods you can do is to add JB weld into the "waffle" portion of the barrel channel. This adds some weight as well as stiffness you can then dremel it back out to open the barrel channel to ensure free floating of the barrel. You can also use JB weld as bedding compound. This mod is very cheap an effective and will add to the accuracy of the gun over its factory configuration.

armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    One of the easiest and "best" mods you can do is to add JB weld into the "waffle" portion of the barrel channel. This adds some weight as well as stiffness you can then dremel it back out to open the barrel channel to ensure free floating of the barrel. You can also use JB weld as bedding compound. This mod is very cheap an effective and will add to the accuracy of the gun over its factory configuration.

as there are a few different types of JB weld epoxy, do you have a part number that works well for you?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    For my Savage, I filled in the factory checkering with bondo, and painted the whole thing black.
    I used directions I found over at the savage shooters forum to bed it. I can't remember, but I think I weighted the rear of the stock with some lead.

Edit - I used JBweld for the bedding, and made sure the barrel channel was opened up.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I always end up filling the buttstock part up with fiberglass resin. You can also add lead shot or other type of weight into there as well to balance the rifle out. Just when doing this especially on a Savage to put some tape around the bottom of the pistol grip of the stock so the resin doesn't leak out as this is not sealed. Also as mentioned you can epoxy in a steel rod the length of the forend as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    To make the comb higher...........velcro and kydex. Non permanent mod, works great (did it to my Contender carbine deer gun).

To fill the forend hollows............JB weld...........can get the "professional size" at Autozone (bigger tubes).

Did my Savage Axis and 700 ADL with this, no rods needed. Does add weight, which can be of benefit. if you don't want weight...proly need to add tubes of some sort to hog space. Carbon arrow remnants would be my choice. Yrs ago I did another ADL700 and ran two stainless tubes in that stock's forend. Used different epoxy though.

Neither 700 needed any stiffening through the wrist. Might have had flex but was acceptable..........hell I shot half inch groups with it.

The Savage Axis however is more flimsy. The ergonomics.........flex, feel..............it really is a turd. Cane be made usable I guess, but there's a reason Boyds sells plywood for them. I handled a 110 Savage somebody put a Boyds on..........varmint rig.........felt pretty good and helped the looks a bunch.
    Did not get a report on how it shot.

Top Bottom