• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes - less felt recoil

Just due to complexity, they will be less reliable. However, feed it right, and you may never have a problem with it - I don't have issues with my Rem 1100.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have a Mossberg JM Pro 930. I think there is less felt recoil for sure. It it can be finicky with certain shells, but once I figured that out, it has been very reliable. No feeding issues. The ammo issues were cycling issues.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We are researching one now. Its going to be for my son who is soon to be 13. We looked today and he seems to like the synthetic stock camo ones. Of course the one he is leaning towards is a Benelli. He is still debating between a pump and semi auto. In reality I think the synthetic might actually be better from a wear perspective.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't know your price-point, but the Saiga semi-auto's are pretty sweet.
    I have a semi-auto Saiga .410 bore the shoots great.
    I've not found it to be finicky yet, but I don't have but a few dozen rounds through it either.
    Nice shooter though.
    I know they 12ga's are hard to find, and salty when you do.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Beretta/Benelli share the same action and are totally reliable. I have owned a Beretta 1201FP for 20 years and the action is identical to the Benelli . I certainly have never had any feeding issues. I am desiring a Beretta 1301 for a while. These are all SD shotguns, and although useful for hunting, are not sold as hunting shotguns.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Versamax definitely less felt recoil. I've not had any reliability issues with mine. It cycles everything so far including the cheap walmart bulk packs.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Gas operated semi auto shot guns do have less felt recoil and are a pleasure to shoot for the most part. I love the FN SLP. Recently had an opportunity to run a Saiga 12 for awhile. It was a hoot.

Now Benelli inertia semi auto system kicks like hell. I unfortunately bought one without shooting first. Fell into the marketing hype. It was hands down the worst firearm I have ever bought. Not only did it bludgeon me I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the darn thing. Also beat the hell out of my cheek bone so bad it was swelled up and throbbing. I took a hit on it to get it out of my safe as soon as possible. Some bloke showed up claiming to be an expert about them and collected them. Told him good luck.

Yes they are finicky on ammo. The Benelli wouldn't even chamber cheap Winchester due to the imperfect crimp. The SLP wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff even with the lighter weight piston in it. Like others have mentioned once you find a load that works they are awesome.

I have always been partial to pump guns. Cheap and they run whatever you stuff into them. May have a gas gun some day if the right one comes up for sale.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I have 5 shotguns, each has their own purpose.... clays, deer, pheasant, home defence, ect...
    If I'm going to go out and shoot clays all day I'm going to grab my 11-87, It likes federal shells and 99% i have no issue with it.
    That being said it really depends on what your using it for, how many rounds are you going to shoot in a trip. i can handle endless rounds out of my semi but I'm going to have a sore shoulder if i shoot a lot of one of my pumps or over/unders.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Just shot my buddy's Benelli M4 yesterday and this was after he got it back due to a court case. He had left it cleaned, lubed and untouched for almost a year and after checking it that it functions, it kept on jamming after ever so shot. Failure to feed mostly.

I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg 930 and trying it out.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Comparing my 870 and 11-87, both Police Magnums, the 11-87 is softer in the felt recoil area. Obviously the 870 is as reliable as any shotgun I've ever seen. The 11-87 I've had for two years and thus far has fired everything I've fed it without issue. Reduced recoil, full power loads, bird shot, whatever has run in it so far without issue.
    Stay safe

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Yes, as stated above gas operated semi's attenuate recoil. Inertia driven, not so much. The most reliable semi auto shotgun is a gas operated Beretta 391 (or 390 or 400). The proof of that claim is that 391's are about the only semi you will see in a sporting clays competition ( some of the new fabarms are showing up but the ratio is still 10 to 1). If you get one with the kick off recoil system, it will attenuate recoil better than any other stock shotgun.
    If I were buying it for a kid, and I did for my own kid, I'd buy a lightly used 390 or 391. Kids don't like recoil and it is not good for their learning curve. A Rem 1100 also is a soft shooter but not nearly as reliable for heavy use as the Beretta 390,391 or new 400. 1100's are a lot less expensive. So it may depend on how much is he going to shoot.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a 1976 Remington 1100 that has had a lot of rounds fired through it from deer slugs to light quail loads and always performed well. I have no qualms about it's reliability.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Do they have less felt recoil? And are they reliable or do they have feeding issues?

Thanks[/

I am only posting to voice an alternative. If you want a good reliable semi auto talk to a wing / clay shooter. Some here on Ingo have already given some great advice. After shoulder surgery to my shooting shoulder I wanted to take up skeet shooting and hunting small game, several months after my recovery. I had shot a single shot 20 ga all my life, but it kicks somewhat, I however use it for trap shooting as only one round is required at a time, no multi birds in trap.
    I chose to stick with 20 ga but went for value, as I didnt know if I would shoot a lot. Skeet guns can get very expensive. My choice was a Tristar Viper G2. After a brief breakin it has been 100% and I shoot 100 shells a month and my shoulder is not complaining a bit. It is also chambered for 3" shells and I easily handled them too. I like its light weight when I am stalking squirrels, or shooting several rounds of skeet.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    We are researching one now. Its going to be for my son who is soon to be 13. We looked today and he seems to like the synthetic stock camo ones. Of course the one he is leaning towards is a Benelli. He is still debating between a pump and semi auto. In reality I think the synthetic might actually be better from a wear perspective.

So how do you feel about adoption?

Top Bottom