• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Rumor has it that the CMP North Store had some new inventory on the racks today. There were about 50 1903A3s and some various special grade M1 rifles today. At $650, I'm not sure how long the 1903A3s will last; but, if it is on your wish list, you might want to plan a trip to Port Clinton, OH in the next day or two.

They also have several Correct Grade WWII Springfield Armory M1s. They are pricy at $3000; but, I understand that they are gorgeous and have sharply struck GAW and NFR inspection cartouches...like it was 1944 all over again.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Latest scuttlebutt from the North Store regarding the 1903A3s:

"...there were still 41 Remington's and 12 Smith Corona's remaining on the shelves."

"...only going off the condition of the stock's and metal. Most of them were in pretty good condition but there were a few that had a little rust but didn't look like there was any pitting. A few of the stock's had no markings that I could see but most had some type of markings. I would guess they will still have some left tomorrow but hopefully someone will update later this afternoon."

"They still had some 240 RND spam cans but I was told they didn't have many left."

If any one wants to make a road trip tomorrow, I'll pitch in on gas! I'd at least like to get a couple of spam cans!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Will they still have the store at Camp Perry when they move the Nationals to Atterbury? Or will they move the store here also?

I hadn't heard anything about this, but how awesome would it be if they moved the store there too?! (Okay, probably not as awesome for the folks in NEI, but still... :):)

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Long story short, the CMP and NRA are going through a bit of a messy divorce. The NRA events will be moving, not the CMP events or facilities.

I see...So events like the M1A shoot, rimfire shoot and all the NRA sponsored events will move. Interesting. BTW is the Garand, carbine and vintage bolt rifle matches CMP or NRA sponsored?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    And the CMP's response to all the folks complaining about the split:

"A response from Christie Sewell, CMP Programs Chief: CMP and NRA agreed upon and approved the 2017 National Match schedule in August of 2016. The NRA decided to change their portion of the schedule and announced this on November 16, 2017. NRA moved their highpower matches to Indiana and decided to move their pistol matches into the schedule where they scheduled their highpower matches. CMP and the Ohio National Guard were both unaware that NRA was planning to change their schedules and heard about this change the same time as everyone else. CMP agreed upon and committed to the 2017 schedule back in August and we will not change our match dates. We are adding a couple matches to fill the time NRA has left void. CMP would prefer to keep the 2017 schedule that all the partners agreed on, but we have no control over the decisions NRA makes for their own matches. If you have questions on NRA matches and events, please contact their competitions department."

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The North Store restocked Remington 1903A3s. This morning when they opened, there were close to 40 RA 1903A3s for $650 and 5 Smith Corona 1903A3s for $650. Other items in stock are: Collector Grade WWII SA M1s for $3000, Post WWII Collector Grade SA & HRA M1s for $2000; Winchester Special Grade M1s $1230, Springfield Special Grade M1s for $1030, M1Cs and M1Ds(...I thought I saw where a couple of the M1Ds are WRA) and some M1 & 1903A3 Drill Rifles.

I might just have to road trip over there on Saturday and see if any of this good inventory. I'd love to get one of those Remington 1903A3s! A Winchester M1D would also be really cool to have.

If for no other reason, I'd make the drive just to spend 5 minutes 'coon fingering' one of those correct WWII M1s.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Holy Thread resurrection, Batman!

I just couldn't stand it any longer, I booked a room this Friday night at the Island House Hotel in Port Clinton. It is only a couple of miles from the CMP North Store. So, I'll be there when the doors open on Saturday morning. The 1903A3s are long gone(...got one already); but, rumor has it there might be a Winchester M1D or a CMP Special to be had.

Thanks goodness I am blessed with the most understanding and patient girlfriend east of the Big Blue River! This was supposed to be two day trip to Angola, In to see Grand Funk Railroad until I added an extra day and a right turn at I70.

Wish me luck!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Picked up one of those 03A3 a number of years ago, darn thing looks like it is brand new. Traced it back and it came from San Diego State University.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I had a most successful visit to the North Store in Port Clinton, Ohio Saturday Morning. I was first in line when they opened. The racks were full. For the affordable, they had at least a dozen each of the CMP built CMP Specials which for the most part are like brand new rifles. The Field Grade Specials are $830 and the CMP Specials are $1030. Both Specials consist of a USGI receiver with a new Criterion barrel, new walnut stock, with either new or in-spec parts and a fresh parkerized finish. The only difference between the two is that the Field Grade Special is built on a grade C receiver which may have some pitting under the new finish. I looked at several and found the pitting to be minimal and mostly under the wood line. If you want a great shooter, you wouldn't go wrong with either of the Specials.

The rumors I had heard about Winchester M1Ds were not exaggerated. They had at least a dozen service grade M1Ds built on Winchester receivers priced at $1735(...they command a $200 premium because they are Winchesters). They ran the gamut of serial numbers from a couple of six digit to a couple of "WIN13s" (..the last production run by Winchester in 1945). I spent a lot of time trying to choose between the two six digit rifles. One had a nicer heal strike and a slightly nicer stock; but, when I tried the action, it didn't seem to want to lock back or operate as smoothly as did the other. I chose the older of the two that seemed to function a little more smoothly. I ended up with serial number 116xxx which dates to August of 1941(...three months before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor!). When I got home and did some research, I found that Winchester started numbering at 100001 which puts this receiver in the first 16xxx of the half million made by Winchester. It has the older SA M1D specific barrel dated 1-52 with ME .5, TE 1.0. and the drawing number on top under the hand guard. As far as the rest of the parts, they are mostly Springfield with the exception of the gas cylinder and the gas plug which are WRA. I haven't identified the maker of the stock; but, it is a well sanded USGI stock with the post war DOD acceptance stamp on the left side of the stock and serif P proof mark on the pistol grip. Since M1Ds were all created from conventional M1s already in service, they are all mixers like this one. The stock needs some raw linseed oil love which I will begin tonight. For the time being, I will purchase a reproduction M82 scope/ mount from the CMP and reproduction cheek pad. Most M1Ds came with the newer M84 scope; but, the reproduction M84s are scarce and problematic and the original ones are really, really pricy. I have the repro M82 on my other M1D and shot a KD event with it a couple of months ago. It worked well.

For those with deep pockets, there were a dozen WWII correct Springfields(...yes, I 'coon fingered' every single one of them with their lock bar sights and their S.A. NFR cartouches), Collector Grade HRAs, Correct HRAs, Springfield 6 million serial numbered at $3000, $2000, $1200 & $2000 respectively.

There were also the usual Springfield M1Cs and M1Ds in rack, field and service grades. I didn't look too closely at them; but, there seemed to be lots from which to choose. The M1Cs were priced over $2000 and the SA M1Ds were $935, $1235 and $1535 depending on grade.

With the exception of two drill rifles, the 1903a3s were all gone. There were also M1 drill rifles for $380 for those that would like a wall hanger.

The store stayed pretty busy while I was there. Melissa, the fellas behind the counter and the opening crowd were a great bunch. Lots of great stories, jokes and wise cracks! I've been to the South Store a half dozen times or so; but, I really enjoyed my first visit to the North Store!

Pictures of my new Winchester M1D soon, I promise!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    My reproduction M82 Scope and mount arrived from the CMP today. I have hand rubbed two coats of raw linseed oil into the stock. It probably still needs two more. I installed the mount, scope and a USGI cotton web sling. I'm still waiting on the leather cheek pad. I'll post more pictures later; but, here is a teaser.

M1Dproperlyaccessorized_zpskrrqmv86.jpg

Top Bottom