• ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    looks like another hat thrown in the ring for an ar manufacturer

Savage Arms

the only thing that doesn't make me go "oh look another entry level ar" is that it has both the standard charging handle and a side charging handle

other than that, all I can say is "oh look another entry level ar"

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm a savage bolt action fan boy and I admit it. As far as their new 223/5.56 AR I could genuinely care less. I am interested in their new semi auto 308's they've got coming out though. I'm hoping that one of these days somebody is going to put out a quality semi auto 308 at a reasonable price. Savage is going to be introducing a lot of new rifles this year from what I've read so far.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm a savage bolt action fan boy and I admit it..........................................

Me too! I'm not your average AR sort. I have one and it was born to be a bench gun. But, if I had a couple extra grand to toss around, that 6.5 Creedmore MSR10 Long Range might draw my attention. Savage is known for quality barrels and the ad for the MSR makes mention of just that.

Kudos to Savage for calling it a Modern Sporting Rifle.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It has some nice features, and I am all for firearm manufacturers making more versions of everything, but sad for Savage as this looks like a nice rifle coming out with the market virtually bleeding AR-15 variants.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    looks awful. Blackhawk furniture, Blackhawk Blaze!!!!11!! triggers, and melonite barrels.....no thanks.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Looks better than some of the new kids on the block. If the barrel accuracy falls in line with Savage's reputation, it could be a winner.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If it's a completely reliable 308 that's as accurate as Savage's heavy barrel 308's most of the Blackhawk/cosmetic/unique things will be widely overlooked because of it's performance. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath either.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm a savage bolt action fan boy and I admit it. As far as their new 223/5.56 AR I could genuinely care less. I am interested in their new semi auto 308's they've got coming out though. I'm hoping that one of these days somebody is going to put out a quality semi auto 308 at a reasonable price. Savage is going to be introducing a lot of new rifles this year from what I've read so far.

They do, the DPMS Oracle in 308 is a very nice rig at a very reasonable price..

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the reason it comes with Blackhawk furniture is that they (savage and Blackhawk) are owned by the same company (vista outdoors)

im at the part time job now and the patrol should be about 750 street price

the recon should be about 875 street price

the 6.5/308 hunter should be about 1275 street price

the 6.5/308 long range should be about 1975 street price

and since it was just announced, none of the 4 places we buy from have any in stock

as I said before, ho hum just another entry level ar (but side charging tho!)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Theyre a dime a dozen, and for the prices these will sell for, I'd expect better.

As a mech E (you actually got that right), Nitriding has a few issues you could get into if done improperly. But if done well, I don't have much issue with it as a barrel treatment. It is something you typically see on budget barrels though and I would expect better on a $2k rifle. Hell, for $2k, I can build something up with a Larue, WOA, Noveske, or pretty much any other great barrel. And it won't have that craptastic Blackhawk junk on it ;)

As for the rest of the Savage lineup below the new $2k MSR, I can buy a Colt 6920 or BCM (and let's not even get into what I could build for these prices) for the same price depending on which Savage model we're talking about. So these are definitely a no go for me. There's better to be had for the same price elsewhere. A swing and a miss by savage.

So..as a metalurgist and mechanical engineer....what is your issue with SBN barrels?

Last edited:

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    I asked a question...and got a crappy rep comment. "Ar snob" i am not. Certified armorer, combat vet and metals industry expert i am. I teach/ train every weekend of the year....i would spend 20hrs a day helping you get whatever you need help with right. Thanks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I asked a question...and got a crappy rep comment. "Ar snob" i am not. Certified armorer, combat vet and metals industry expert i am. I teach/ train every weekend of the year....i would spend 20hrs a day helping you get whatever you need help with right. Thanks.
    I guess a good reason that rep has no meaning or effect any more.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Anyways...if i could get the long range or whatever they call it 6.5 for 1500 i would buy it. The only 6.5 i have is the rpr which is nice but i am a semi auto guy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    LOL, I didn't even know we could still do the rep thing. Used to be a nice way to give an atta boy for a funny comment.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wasn't me. Thought it was a good question. Happy to debate, it's what the forum is here for.

And enjoy the + rep to offset the neg.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Wasn't me. Thought it was a good question. Happy to debate, it's what the forum is here for.

And enjoy the + rep to offset the neg.

Lol thank you. Gander mountain in ft wayne is expecting these ( not sure which model) in about 2 weeks. They are going to call me and i will give initial impressions.

Top Bottom