• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Has anyone had a problem removing the barrel band on a 10/22? The bottom screw and band screw don't seem to be the same size. I don't think they make a flat head screw driver this small. Very frustrating.

Thanks

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I did but it was so long ago, I don't recall. it was also an early 70's model (if that makes a difference). I do recall that it wasn't difficult to remove and swap to a free float stock.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I had to use the tip of a needle nose plyer to get it off. My 3 year old may have learned some new words. Hah His vocabulary Is expanding with this and the colts bringing back Pagono lol

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I can't think of any problems with the screws. The only thing I learned the first time I was breaking it down to clean was to use the flat screwdriver to open the band a little bit so it didn't scrape along the fore end piece.

memphis_125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I removed mine about 6 months ago when I was building up my Ruger 10/22 and don't remember having any issues. The rifle was only about 5 years old so I don't know if they have changed anything since then. I do remember that once the screw came out I had to expand the band to remove it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    As a matter of fact, I too had an issue recently.

I wanted to build a rifle for my GF's grandson to shoot RR Courses. So, I bought an brand new 10/22 in one of those terrible, black plastic stocks. I found a nice laminate stock on EBay.

When I went to loosen the barrel band, I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit. I went through both of my allen wrench sets and could not find a match. Eventually, I used a vice grip set of pliers, clamped it on the pin side of the screw and turned it until it was loose enough to slide the band off. I replaced it with an older, metal band/slotted screw set I had left over from my last build.

I've built a half dozen of these over the last several years for Appleseed and Revere's Rider events, from both older and brand new 10/22s. Ruger should be embarrassed about how cheaply made their new rifles are compared to the older rifles.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have built or modified a dozen or so 10/22s but haven't bought one for several years and have never seen one with a barrel band which required a hex wrench. Removing the barrel band used to be a pretty standard practice. Many guys would remove the band then cut off the stock extension it fit over then reshape the front end. Might be hard to do with the plastic stocks. Never had a plastic stock either. However, before you do to much surgery, take a look and see if the stocks still have a little pressure pad at the front end of the barrel channel. They all used to and it was there for a reason. Common advice was if you cut the front end off, you should replace that pad with something to support the barrel. The gun was not intended to have a fully free-floated barrel. The barrel is a piece of steel pipe hanging on an aluminum receiver and those pieces are anchored in the stock with one relatively small screw. Without that pressure pad or some other sort of support, barrel sag/rock could be a problem. Many of the "old-timers" on rimfire central would bed the receiver and about 3" of the barrel immediately in front of the receiver. Free floating the barrel works on most rifles but there's an exception to every rule. :):

Last edited:

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I swapped on a Stainless side folder once it was out of NJ for good. I remember it was a Allen head cap screw. There are Metric and Standard Allen wrenches / cap screws. I don't remember having any trouble taking it off or the Butler Creek Stock I installed. I wedged a fast food spoon handle in the band to spread it and not cause scratches.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom