• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I am building my first AR15 from a PSA lower kit (PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1:7 Phosphate MOE Freedom Rifle Kit - 7779431).

The MOE pistol grip fit the lower quite snuggly and had to push hard to get it to sit right while ensuring the safety spring stayed aligned. My concern is with the screw for the pistol grip. Using a flat head screwdriver, it only screws in about 3-4 turns. There was no washer with it. The turns were hard to turn, and it does not screw all the way in. Nevertheless, the pistol grip appears to be solid in place, but I don't know if its because of the snug fit.

Am I doing something wrong? It would seem like the screw for the pistol grip would be one of the easiest steps in the process (e.g., I installed pivot pin with no problem using the special pivot tool). Any thoughts on the pistol grip screw issue?

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I would take the pistol grip off, check the threads of both pieces and see if it threads into the hole all the way.
    Mine came with lock tight on the screw threads, but thescrew stillwent down completely before it became really hard to turn.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    What lower are you using? I've had trouble with Anderson lowers and grip screws not screwing in all the way. Sounds like it's not tapped all the way. And make sure you didn't cross thread it somehow.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The threads do not run the entire length of the hole its a problem with anderson lowers. Go to lowes and pick up a 1/4x28 tap and tap handle and finish putting threads in the hole

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    If that's the problem, it means that Anderson didn't cut threads deep enough in the lower. You'll need the correct tap and handle to continue cutting threads to the appropriate depth.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The threads do not run the entire length of the hole its a problem with anderson lowers. Go to lowes and pick up a 1/4x28 tap and tap handle and finish putting threads in the hole

I had to do this to my INGO lower. It was more of an issue with me stripping the threads than it was the threading not going all the way through.

The tap and handle will cost you less than $10, but it is a pain in the rear to have to run out and get the tools to do it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I agree its a pain in the butt I have built 6 and 5 of those had the same problem as did my neighbors so out of the 7 andersons i have seen 6 needed tapped.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I agree its a pain in the butt I have built 6 and 5 of those had the same problem as did my neighbors so out of the 7 andersons i have seen 6 needed tapped.

I guess it's a good thing I already have the tap. I have two striped Anderson lowers in the safe right now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had to do this to my INGO lower. It was more of an issue with me stripping the threads than it was the threading not going all the way through.

The tap and handle will cost you less than $10, but it is a pain in the rear to have to run out and get the tools to do it.

Stripping threads is easier to do than most people think.
    More times than not, it is the result of "cross-threading" the screw when starting.

One way to help avoid this is to start the screw by turning it in the opposite direction.
    When you feel the thread jump down, reverse the direction carefully.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you don't know what tapping means, then I'll take it that you don't have shop background. Before you go buy a tap, take the pistol grip back off and try the bolt again without the pistol grip in place. Don't use a screwdriver for this. Use only hand pressure. If it starts half way then gets tight all of a sudden, it could be a tapping issue as already mentioned. If the bolt is hard to turn from the beginning, it could be a cross threading issue. If it goes in and seats completely, then you probably did not have the pistol grip hole aligned with the threaded hole in the receiver.

Also, I don't think I've ever had a kit not come with a lock washer of some sort. I'd buy one or call PSA and make them send you one.

If it does end up being a tap depth issue, then you should call Anderson and make sure to register a complaint with them. I've heard of a lot of issues with them lately. But unless they know that people are having issues, then they won't know to fix them.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    If you don't know what tapping means, then I'll take it that you don't have shop background. Before you go buy a tap, take the pistol grip back off and try the bolt again without the pistol grip in place. Don't use a screwdriver for this. Use only hand pressure. If it starts half way then gets tight all of a sudden, it could be a tapping issue as already mentioned. If the bolt is hard to turn from the beginning, it could be a cross threading issue. If it goes in and seats completely, then you probably did not have the pistol grip hole aligned with the threaded hole in the receiver.

This ..... exactly what he said.

You are in Indiana, surely you have a relative, uncle, brother, grandpa, maybe even grandma, friend, cousin, ex something, high school buddy, somebody you know, that has shop/machining experience to help you out, just look around.

My bet, you are in Indiana, you can't sling a dead cat without hitting somebody that has a tap and die set and would help you out. I would, but I'm down by the river SEI almost 200 miles away from your stated location.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Top Bottom