• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have a somewhat time sensitive question for the AR gurus. I've just started getting into rifles more than I used to and came across a deal that I think is too good to pass up; but I wanted some feedback before I go through with it. Basically, I have an opportunity to get an unfired LE6940 for $800. It's money I wasn't planning on spending and I've only owned an Armalite. So, what are your opinions of this model?

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Well, it's kind of a situation where I'd be buying to keep it, and I'm not all that familiar with the quality of their rifles. I've primarily always shot handguns up until a few months ago and Colt's more recent handguns, IMO, aren't worth their price tag. The $800 is a friend price that I probably wouldn't get again if I just turned around and flipped it. I had that money set aside for a CZ from CGW and don't want to spend it unless it's a quality rifle that I won't see again for that price.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seriously.....buy it. That's a hell of a deal. Colt is GTG for ARs. Go to m4carbine and read on them. A 6920 is worth the asking price, let alone a 6940.

Colt is the go to AR for under $1k. No question. You won't ever see a 6940 for that price, and that's a rifle for the rest of your life. If you don't get the AR bug, that one would be fine being your one and only AR for life.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I used to own a Colt 6920 and it was an outstanding AR. Loved it. At that price a 6940 is a steal. Buy it.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well, it's kind of a situation where I'd be buying to keep it, and I'm not all that familiar with the quality of their rifles. I've primarily always shot handguns up until a few months ago and Colt's more recent handguns, IMO, aren't worth their price tag. The $800 is a friend price that I probably wouldn't get again if I just turned around and flipped it. I had that money set aside for a CZ from CGW and don't want to spend it unless it's a quality rifle that I won't see again for that price.

Gotcha. Just please do us all on INGO a favor, and buy it! :D

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    It's a good deal, but with Trump's election the gun prices are likely to stagnate for the foreseeable future and there will be lots of deals especially on AR's.
    $800 is pretty darn good for an unfired Colt AR.
    Get it.
    If you regret it or want to liquidate for something else, it won't be hard to sell or trade.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    6940 for $800 = No brainer, the Armalite I traded you is a hell of a nice rifle too. 6940's were at one time selling for $1200~$1400. Haven't looked lately, but $800 is a smokin' deal.
    Just took a quick look on gunbroker, there are a few listed for $1499

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't know the nomenclature for Colt's line of ARs, but I believe this is the same model AR that my boss is intending to sock away to get, but the best deal that he could find for a brand new one is right at the $1K mark.
    If you can afford it, and if its condition really is as listed, that's a great deal, assuming that the best going price for it really is $1K.
    My boss actually put a DPMS in layaway right before the election, preparing for the worst in the aftermath of an HRC win, then realized that the urgency wasn't quite there with the DJT win, so he canceled the layaway, instead deciding to go for the one he really wanted all along, a Colt.
    I told him that I agree completely, throwing out the INGO axiom "buy once, cry once."
    There are some purchases for which it really makes more sense to invest a bit more.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have a 6940. While I love Colts, I not a big fan of the short monolithic rail of the 6940. $800 is a steal and if you decide to resell you will easily break even if not make some money. I've put ~1000rds through mine without a hiccup.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That is something to remember. It is a monolithic upper, so if you don't like the rail, you have to swap the entire upper, not just the rail.

Honestly, I think it's perfect in 6943 configuration. It'd be awesome to get the 6940 and swap the barrel to a DD 11.5" FSP. You can sell that Colt barrel for what you'll have in the DD, and you'd only be out the tax stamp money.

I have a 6940. While I love Colts, I not a big fan of the short monolithic rail of the 6940. $800 is a steal and if you decide to resell you will easily break even if not make some money. I've put ~1000rds through mine without a hiccup.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That is something to remember. It is a monolithic upper, so if you don't like the rail, you have to swap the entire upper, not just the rail.

Honestly, I think it's perfect in 6943 configuration. It'd be awesome to get the 6940 and swap the barrel to a DD 11.5" FSP. You can sell that Colt barrel for what you'll have in the DD, and you'd only be out the tax stamp money.

You can't swap out the barrel since it's proprietary. It uses a straight gas tube and different barrel extension.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well.....that sucks. Guess you could always pay your $200 fun tax and send it to ADCO to chop/thread/open the gas port. Personally, I don't think I'd want to have a 16" rifle with such a short rail.....but folks have different wants/needs than me, and it still is certainly a good deal for $800.

You can't swap out the barrel since it's proprietary. It uses a straight gas tube and different barrel extension.

Top Bottom