• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know this question is probably only going to apply to a select few, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has gone through what I'm going through now and what the outcome turned out to be.

I have a .308 AR I just built. I'm using a Rainier Arms Ultra match barrel, SLR adjustable gas block, CAR-10 XH buffer and .308 carbine buffer spring from heavybuffer.com. I'm also running a Silencerco Saker. So I initially tuned the gas block without the suppressor in the typical sequence (basically start closed, open it as it reaches the different benchmarks and makes it to a complete cycle, and then up 1 more setting for reliability). My train of thought with this is that I'd always want the rifle functional regardless of the condition and not tuned to only run suppressed. So after the initial tuning, I threw the suppressor on. It increased my gas pressure so much that it is ejecting the spent casing so hard that it catches it on the way back forward. I verified this with slow motion video. When it doesn't catch, it throws the brass at about 1:00. So my gas it obviously way high for shooting suppressed. I turned it down a notch but haven't had the opportunity to retest under both suppress and non-suppressed conditions. FYI, I'm testing with Prvi Partisan 147gr. Eventually it'll be shooting handloads, probably in the 175gr range.

My question is, do any of you have a 308 build that you are able to run both suppressed and unsuppressed without swapping buffers or making gas setting changes?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As I understand it, there's no middle ground. Each configuration has it's own settings. Just like you experienced, a good setting for one will probably cause issues on the other.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    My 556 rifles are either BCM or Noveske. All of them shoot great both suppressed and unsuppressed. Obviously the recoil impulse changes a little and my brass deflection angle changes, but not to the point of malfunction. Not even close. I have a Gemtech SBC in the 10.5" Noveske just to tune down the gas for shootability. But the function was never been hindered to the point where I had a jam. I have a factory BCM 300BLK that will shoot unsuppressed subs through suppressed supers all with great result and all while using the factory gas block and factory H2 buffer. Now, maybe I've just had great luck to this point, but I'm convinced I can find common ground for the 308 with a gas setting and buffer combo. I wanted to give the Gemtech SBC 762 a try, but it looks like they discontinued it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can set it where I don't get malfunctions either with or without the silencer, for both the 223 and 308. but they shoot like crap if I try to split the difference (edge of reliability or harsh). What's the point of adj gas if I can't/won't adjust it? like I said, no one great setting.

I'd suggest playing w/ buffer weight, probably lighter. less weight means you can run less gas, which restricting the flow should, I would think, restrict the higher pressure more than the lower...

My 308 is a riffle stock/buffer and my 223 is a A5 which probably helps smooth things out. my other 223 I sometimes put the silencer on is a std 16" carbine, it's just harsh w/ the can on, but is reliable.

-rvb

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    What's the point of adj gas if I can't/won't adjust it?

The point, at least from my point of view, is to be able to tune the block to a specific point that works best for the application. But you need a long allen drive to reach in and make the adjustment. If I wanted quick adjustment, I'd look at something like the Noveske Switchblock. Which....may be not such a bad idea. At least with the Gemtech SBC, I can use the rim of cartridge to make the change from one mode to another.

Maybe I'm chasing my tail on this. But I'll keep working on it regardless.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I keep an alan in my grip, so I have it should I want it.

my 223 I keep tuned to run w/ the silencer. it wont' run w/o it. I really have no intention of not using the silencer, it's part of the system. But I can take it off should the need arise.

I'm currently working on accuracy loads on the 308, so I'm leaving it set w/o the can. I hope to find a good accurate load that then is also accurate w/ the can. It'll probably also then get set to only run with the can...

-rvb

Top Bottom