• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm currently stocked up to the gills on Federal LE Flight Control 00 buck rounds. There's been a rash of break-ins (people going around kicking in doors, etc) in my neighborhood.

Just want to make sure I'm using the best/most devastating round I can be. Furthest shot will be about 8-10 yards inside my residence. No neighbors close enough to worry about over penetration.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Any quality full power 00 buck will do just fine. Really even the reduced recoil 00 buck is so much better than a standard handgun round, I would take any of it over the best handgun ammo made. Patterning you gun and getting to know just what that shot will do downrange is the real issue, At what range do you need to switch to slugs? what is the maximum range of the slugs you use? Can you select load, port feed, clear double feeds, and utilize white light source? ect. Take a good shotgun class from a good instructor and you will be amazed at just how good a shotgun is, and all that you can do. I had the mandatory Indiana Law Enforcement academy training with the shotgun, then got lucky and took a specialized course on them at Camp Atterbury, from a LEO instructor that was trained at Thunder Ranch, and utilized their methods. I will never be without a good 870, after that course. I got my first shotgun in 6th grade, and hunted with them for years, but never did I know the shotgun until that course.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    The Federal LE Flight Control 00 buck is a great load, it's my second favorite.

My preferred home defense load is the Federal LE Flight Control #1 buck. It uses the same Flight Control wad as the 00 buck, so it keeps a really tight pattern, the only difference is the #1 buck throws 15 .30-calliber pellets instead of the 00 buck's 9 .33-calliber pellets.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    The Federal LE Flight Control 00 buck is a great load, it's my second favorite.

My preferred home defense load is the Federal LE Flight Control #1 buck. It uses the same Flight Control wad as the 00 buck, so it keeps a really tight pattern, the only difference is the #1 buck throws 15 .30-calliber pellets instead of the 00 buck's 9 .33-calliber pellets.

I saw that as well. I have several hundred rounds of the #00 stuff, I found it for stupid cheap a year or so back and bought everything an online vendor had. Figured it's going to be good for a while, so whether for training, etc. I couldn't really go wrong.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yep, good stuff. It's the primary load I have in my HD shotguns. I've got both #1 and 00.

My patterns from a couple of years ago. I've tested longer distance than 20' and it stays together very well out to at least 40'. I also like what happens once it hits target (video).

Fed%20FC%20Moss%20930%20SPX%2020%20ft_zpsosawgcxf.jpg

Fed%20FC%2000Buck%20Moss%20590%2014inch%20SBS%20%2020ft_zpskupvzqmn.jpg

[video=youtube;JNb2uvezzx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0[/video]

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm currently stocked up to the gills on Federal LE Flight Control 00 buck rounds. There's been a rash of break-ins (people going around kicking in doors, etc) in my neighborhood.

Just want to make sure I'm using the best/most devastating round I can be. Furthest shot will be about 8-10 yards inside my residence. No neighbors close enough to worry about over penetration.

It`s crazy out there, and people are getting more bold, and evil, it seems by the day. Stay alert, it sounds like you have to.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well Ammunition Depot had a per box price very close to the per unit price when buying a case. So I have a half case on the way for testing and tasting.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra

This may not be the best answer for defense but inside 10 yards turkey load and anything around it would obliterate any flesh target. I keep 6 shot in my 870 with smooth bore deer barrel.. at 25ft it blows through 3/8 plywood.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I purchase the Suprema 00 buck at my local Walmart, it's cheap & shoots real tight groups out of my Maverick 88 at 25 feet. In my 88 I have #4 buck but the first three are 4 shot heavy game loads. I tested the 4 shot on several different layers of clothing & it went through them all.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    As an alternative to buckshot, I keep a good quantity of shells loaded with BB shot. Up close it could possibly be enough to stop a large target, and at a distance a good deterrent. I picked up a large quantity of BB shot at a yard sale years ago so I roll my own.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: Have you patterned your shotgun with the ammo you have?

If not, I'd hate for a home invasion be the proving ground. YOUR shotgun may not pattern the stuff as well as it needs.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I use Federal P158-000 copper plated triple ought buck in 3 inch shells.

Overkill, maybe.

Any federal LE series buckshot is good stuff. They have reduced recoil too in 12 gauge. Good choice too.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't imagine what sort of people are capable of taking a high brass 12 gauge load to the body at 8 yards and still want in.

Top Bottom