• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    I recently was given my grandfathers Browning BAR Mark 2 Belgian Made. 30-06. Serial Numbers come back 1969. 61650 M9
    This gun was on my top 5 list of guns to have and My Grandfather is still alive to pass it on to me very thankful.

It has been used a lot in its life. Thousands of rounds over the years but has been sitting in storage for the last 20 years. you can see some stock damage in one of the photos.
    Anyone know someone good to repair that kind of damage?

I tossed a cheap sling on it, cleaned it, put 30 rounds through it. Took it deer hunting this past year. Solid action, No Jams, and hits the target where I point the scope. can't ask for more.
    This is my first post on these forums so if this is the wrong place for this let me know.
    IMG_20170110_162654316.jpg IMG_20170110_162714969.jpg

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    .308 would be awesome wonderful round.
    This one is in need of TLC. probably needs new spring and plastic stopper. Some stock work done. I considered for a short time replacing the wood with something else but.. I like wood stocks.. especially on rifles. (more hunter than tactical i guess)

antiwheeze

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I have its twin but put a synthetic stock on mine several years ago. The wood was pristine and I could not bring myself to hunt with it. Bought it for elk hunting and was finally able to take an indiana deer with it this year. Learned never to shoot a whitetail it the shoulder with a 30-06. Too much meat loss.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have its twin but put a synthetic stock on mine several years ago. The wood was pristine and I could not bring myself to hunt with it. Bought it for elk hunting and was finally able to take an indiana deer with it this year. Learned never to shoot a whitetail it the shoulder with a 30-06. Too much meat loss.

I'll remember that.
    I have your twin as well.
    It sat in the safe this year. My new Mossberg 464 .30-30 went out in the woods with me and took it's first buck this season. A small 3 pointer, but it was meat. It was also the only deer I saw all season.

Anyway, that's a nice rifle.
    What load did you use to decimate that shoulder?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Beautiful gun. As other I have a BAR Mrk II in .30-06 purchased mine about 15 yrs ago from a friend who inherited some of his uncles firearms. He didn't want them and was not into firearms. Too bad I didn't have the money to by the other Brownings that he had.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Your grandpa passed down one fine rifle there.
    I'm unsure how hard they would be to locate, but you might be able to locate an unused butt stock to replaced yours if you want it to restore it without modification as such.
    Either find one on one of the many auction sites, or (maybe a longshot, but maybe worth a try) you could contact Browning directly and give them the serial number to see if they might have spares on hand that they would sell you.
    If you want to turn it from a showpiece into a shooter/hunter, you could follow the path that antiwheeze took and buy a synthetic stock for it.
    Whatever you do, you'd definitely be best off to keep the butt stock in a safe, if for some reason you want to take it back to its original look or can find someone with the skill to repair the damage to it without greatly detracting from the looks of it.
    The best way that you can honor your grandpa's vision and gift to you that I can think of would be to take it deer hunting next firearms season, as it's now legal in Indiana to use a rifle with that bore diameter or one with a .243 bore.
    I took a young buck with my own Ruger .30-06, its first ever, this fall, and the results were decisive.
    There was no meat loss, too.
    It always pays to shoot just behind the shoulder and either even or just below the "elbow" joint of the deer for that reason.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You might also check Numrich gun parts for a stock be warned however that even though they have a lot of parts for a lot of firearms they are pretty proud them. One thing to keep in mind is that Winchester offered a BAR rebranded as the SXR for awhile and they tend to be a little less expensive than BARs. Parts should interchange and may be less expensive too.

If you ever decide to improve the trigger on your BAR I highly recommend Bill Springfield. I had work done on both my SXR and PTR 91 trigger packs and it made a world of difference in both. The turn around time was very fast and price is very reasonable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Somebody should be able to epoxy repair, maybe pin it.
    Dunno if oil got in and did something to the wood over time or Gramps ran out of ammo and clubbed one to finish it off.
    Me?
    I'd try to have the stock repaired, not refinished........and hunt it.
    If the buttstock not salvageable......find one like it (not new) to match the forend..............and hunt it.
    Cool rifle, I'd not try to spiff it up...........doesn't need it.
    When the wood gets some nasty gouges, or your horse rolls over on it during an elk hunt.............yeah, replace the wood after that.

Top Bottom