Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Calling all .458 SOCOM Experts! I use my SOCOM for deer hunting only:

14956513_1671049486558504_8911153904369647165_n_zps89a5jy1y.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

My son took a small antlerless this season with it:

1113161039a_zpshmvwnjwb.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I originally bought the RRA upper as a complete upper from RRA and it came with a bag that contained a different buffer and spring. I don't know if it's a heavy buffer...don't know what the difference in the spring is - I assume it too is heavier (bigger K constant).

That spring and buffer was for a collapsible stock like the one you see in the picture. I'm changing that to a standard A2 style stock that has it's own buffer tube, 5.56 buffer and spring. I've read in blogs that the .458 is designed to run on the standard 5.56 buffer and spring. Don't know why RRA would give me a different one if that is true.

Question: Do I just make the swap, go with the 5.56 spring and buffer that's with it? I have that on another rifle and I'm considering moving it over. Will that cause problems.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    When I bought mine it came complete with the A2 stock and 2 extra springs . I can't remember with is which , but they are color marked . 1 is heavier than the other .

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My upper is a mid-length gas system and when I got it, there were no extra springs. I called Rock River and they said I was good to go with a standard spring and buffer. I'm running a magpul UBR stock on mine and have had zero issues with it. Smoked three deer with it to date. Love the 458 SOCOM but brass is so expensive and I hate loosing it, so I had a savage re-barreled to a 458 to bust deer with.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I dont have a .458 but .450BM... Went with the A2 full length tube and a custom rifle length buffer and JP extra power rifle springs. The extra mass of the buffer and springs really helps tame the 'thumper'.

Just look at the ft-lbs of energy of the round(s).

:ingo:

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    When I bought mine it came complete with the A2 stock and 2 extra springs . I can't remember with is which , but they are color marked . 1 is heavier than the other .

I bought my RRA 458 upper and it shipped with two different springs. One for A2 stock and one for carbine. If I remember correctly the green spring was for the A2 and the red was for carbine. I don't know if they were a standard spring rate or were custom rates.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I got my RRA 458 upper and RRA lower separately and they worked fine together. I've tried an H1 and some Spikes buffers but didn't make much of a difference. I'm still using the original RRA carbine spring.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Got everything put back together finally and it turns out the spring set that came with the RRA upper contained a collapsible stock spring and an A2 spring. So I installed the A2 spring from RRA with the buffer that came with the A2 stock and have ran fifty round through it - no issues. Shoots same as before. Slick!

Top Bottom