Just joined the M1A club after years of thinking about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well after years of thinking about it, I've bought an M1A Scout. I've always wanted an M1A Garand for the history, but figured the M1A's would give me the same thrill but also have a detachable box magazines and being chambered in 308 just has more options for ammo. I've rarely held an M1A let alone a scout, but all the times I've held them they just fit just right for me. Any time I've asked local gunstores about getting one their distributor is always out of stock on them. They aren't the most popular rifles in today's age and I get that. For me, there's just always been some kind of a nostalgic appeal to the M1A's and the scout model always seemed to make sense to me in terms of the right overall length to be handy and already having a solid scope base on the rifle from the factory. I also like that a scout is just a little bit different than most of the other guns out there too. I knew this day would come and when PSA had springfield factory 20rd mags on sale for $20 each I picked a couple up. In hindsight I wish I'd have bought a few more.

If anyone has any recommendations for quality mags and where to buy them I'm all ears.

Any recommendations for a quality sling would also be appreciated.

Any recommendations for any kind of maintenance tools/random equipment or advice in general would be awesome. This is my first M1A so it's all new to me.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Welcome to the club. I have a Socom 16 I got for Xmas from the wife.

As for mags, GI surplus mags are getting pricey. I use what are the current mil supplied mags and those are Checkmate 20 rounders. A multitude of vendors sell them. I get mine from Brownell's, only because I get the discount. Chechmate makes the mags for Springfield.

I wish I has seen the mags on sale at PSA for $20, I would have bought 20 of them.

Get a tube of Lubriplate. That is what you will need for the bolt, trigger assy and oprod.

The best place for M1A info is the M14 forum. M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles That is were I have learned.

There is a plethora of info there and guys that know the ins and out of M1A's.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I haven't had much luck on that M14 forum. Just about every time I try to post something the website has some kind of a problem. It's a pain, and I actually was going to post this topic there first, but the site was having problems loading. They do have some good guys there though, when the website works long enough for me to read their comments.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I get mine from Brownell's, only because I get the discount. Chechmate makes the mags for Springfield.

Good reminder on the Brownells. I don't always double check them, but right now they've got their check mate 20rd mags on sale for $24 each. That's not too much worse than the PSA sale. There's a code for free shipping too, but it doesn't seem to be working on an order for mags only.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Congratulations on a new addiction. I have a NM M1A that I will be shooting high power matches with this spring. Checkmate mags are good, surplus mags can still be found if you look

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Congrats
    Love my standard M1A
    The only thing I changed on mine was picking up a USGI stock with sling, and a USGI cleaning kit that fits in the stock. Oh, an a USGI flash hider w/ bayonet lug

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Congrats on the pickup. I've got their loaded model, but have always wanted to get the scout. When I got mine years ago I was able to scrounge up 6 surplus mags at a gun shop on the east side of Indy (IIRC) for $25 each. One of them was made by Borg Warner.... kinda cool.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Oh! A chance to post a pic of my M1-A! Good out to 1,000 yds.

M1AF-Class_zpsb4e34eac.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You will need some grease. I use a tub of wheel bearing grease you can get from the auto store. Coastal high temp is good.

Mags. GO HERE 44MAG.com - M1A & M14 44MAG has USGI current issue CMI mags for 27.95 free shipping.

Many of the so called USGI cleaning kits are cheap Chinese copies. So hunt out a good one.

There is a guy on youtube named tonyben that has awesome vids on the M14/M1A
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

A 45 cal brush is the right size to clean out the gas system and the cap for the gas system.

The M14 uses the same GI slings as the butt stock equipped M16A1 and M16A2

M14 USGI Sling
    This one is the current USMC basic issue sling. Pretty much the same as the old 60s GI sling with better materials.

Here is mine. 2010ish build date. But retrofitted with many USGI parts.
    IMG00568.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good choice. Love mine. Went through the same thing as you, none of the shops I visited had one. I lucked out right when I stopped looking, this one popped up on INGO and I snagged it instantly. Couldn't be happier.

I never miss a chance to post a pic either. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Good choice. Love mine. Went through the same thing as you, none of the shops I visited had one. I lucked out right when I stopped looking, this one popped up on INGO and I snagged it instantly. Couldn't be happier.

I never miss a chance to post a pic either. :)

When I get my scout in I'll snap a picture of my scout along with my loaded 1911. My picture won't be as perfect as yours, but it'll be a fun comparison, lol.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What have you guys used for mag pouches for the M1A? I've got some old school Alice m16 mags I can fit 2 m1a mags in. Also have a maxpedition on the way to play with. Just curious if anyone has any good m1a mag pouch suggestions.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What have you guys used for mag pouches for the M1A? I've got some old school Alice m16 mags I can fit 2 m1a mags in. Also have a maxpedition on the way to play with. Just curious if anyone has any good m1a mag pouch suggestions.

USGI MOLLE II Bandoleers will carry three 20 round mags. And they're cheap (can be if you look around).

Top Bottom