Shotgun or 22 LR for a first personal gun ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you go with an ar platform for the 22 stay away from the mossberg 715t. They are garbage, at least the one i had was. Go with a S&W if you go with the 22 in ar platform

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Is your 12 gauge an autoloader? Not really important, just curious. Try some reduced loads for the 12 gauge. If she doesn't like the kick of a 12 gauge, she's not likely to care for the kick from a 20 gauge ... most beginners don't.

If she likes the AR platform (look), you might want to investigate the Ruger SR-22 rifle ( Ruger® SR-22® * Autoloading Rifle Models ). It's a standard 10/22 wrapped up in an AR blanket. This rifle weighs a ton and the factory Ruger sights are crap, but the 10/22 is a well vetted platform. If she ever gets tired of this look, the sky's the limit on making it look like something else.

Brycefowler922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Austin
    She wants to just have her own gun to shoot a little but she never gives me a straight answer on what type. She always says "I don't know what do you like" but I'm much bigger than her and my taste in weapons is different

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    16ga's are soft shooters, but still effective.
    .410's are great to learn with, and so much fun to shoot, but not really enough to be a self defense round in my opinion.
    I guess you could use slugs.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Depending on your budget, you could get both. For instance, a Ruger 10/22 can be had for under $200 new and say a Mossberg 12/20 gauge can be had for about $250.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Didn't one of the AR style 22s have an issue with out of battery discharge and uncontrollable auto fire? I would think about a $500 entry level AR with a $150 drop in 22lr conversion

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If you go with an ar platform for the 22 stay away from the mossberg 715t. They are garbage, at least the one i had was. Go with a S&W if you go with the 22 in ar platform
    I agree with this statement above. Mossberg .22LR 715t are garbage & S&W much better. I also have a GSG .22LR "AR" style which is super picky on ammo and would probably just frustrate her due jamming. Or you could get a combo gun. The Savage M42 is a .22LR / .410 shotgun combo which sells for around $400.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Neither.

20ga kicks just as bad as 12. If your not bird hunting shot guns suck. .22LR is extinct. If you do happen to find some it isn't worth buying.

I would get her some sort of 9mm carbine with a dot sight and back up irons. Something that takes Glock mags. She could stick a light on it and set it up for defense. They don't weigh much and don't recoil much and are not terribly loud. Heck you could even supress the darn thing.

Ultimately it's up to her. Give her the options and let her choose. Maybe attend one of the meet and shoots so she could get some hands on.

Top Bottom