• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradbler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Freetown
    I personally don't like to have my guns be exposed to weather and extreme temperatures. and if I had a gun that I didn't care about that much I probably wouldn't trust it with my life. just stick with EDC

Brycefowler922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Austin
    That's also my fear is damaging a perfectly good firearm but I do feel my EDE isn't always going to keep me safe in the event something big happens

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That's also my fear is damaging a perfectly good firearm but I do feel my EDE isn't always going to keep me safe in the event something big happens
    Use your EDC to get you out of the "big" something and get out of dodge so you can get to your rifle.

I don't know what kind of truck you have, but I keep my AR in a rack in the passenger compartment of my police car and it hasn't been affected by being in the car sitting in the hot sun or in winter weather. I guess if your passenger compartment wasn't relatively airtight there might be an issue.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you go with a truck gun, you'd certainly be best off with a workhorse type (walnut or other wood stocks out, synthetic stocks in) that is rock solid reliable (this is for a SHTF situation), yet not so expensive or of such sentimental value that it would freak you out in the unlikely event of theft.
    As was already posted above, it would certainly behoove you to choose a stowage option that completely hides it from view to prying eyes, while allowing you instant access in that SHTF scenario.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If something happens while you're driving your truck you won't have access to a long gun that is locked in the trunk (or under the back seat).
    If somehing happens while you're away from your truck (like a shooting at the mall) you won't have the luxury to leave, go to your truck, and get back with your truck gun.

The easier it will be to access the easier it will be to steal.
    The harder it will be to steal (secured to the frame of the truck with chains, locked in a gun vault bolted to the frame, lock thru the action ...) the harder it will be to used quickly should you need it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    There's nothing wrong with having a trunk gun. Just be smart about it, keep it out of sight. Don't have thing like phone, GPS, bags and cords laying around. That stuff is just asking for your car to be broken in to.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    While I like the idea of a long gun in a vehicle "just because", I've been broke into 3 times in my life, all of which nowhere considered a rough neighborhood. I don't drive anything too flashy either (97 civic twice, 98 Tacoma once). I had a stereo yanked out of the civic once, put an alarm in it, and they yanked my wheels post alarm installation. The people who got in the truck got about 4$ in pennies. That makes me not keep anything in a vehicle I don't mind walking... I'd get a discrete carry case and carry my "tennis racket" around with me when I thought I'd want it. That might sound paranoid of thieves, but that's my experience..

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    While I like the idea of a long gun in a vehicle "just because", I've been broke into 3 times in my life, all of which nowhere considered a rough neighborhood. I don't drive anything too flashy either (97 civic twice, 98 Tacoma once). I had a stereo yanked out of the civic once, put an alarm in it, and they yanked my wheels post alarm installation. The people who got in the truck got about 4$ in pennies. That makes me not keep anything in a vehicle I don't mind walking... I'd get a discrete carry case and carry my "tennis racket" around with me when I thought I'd want it. That might sound paranoid of thieves, but that's my experience..

Your drum brakes tell me that decal didn't come on the car from the factory.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'd rather have access to a truck gun and not need ot, than to need it...
    +1. For the person saying that they wouldn't trust a gun that they could let get beat up, why not? My truck gun is a mossy 500 cutdown, the action functions fine. Just a little worse for wear on the outside, won't impress anyone with it, but that's not its purpose.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't trust anyone with anything. Strip my vehicle each night. Not even a penny in the ash tray.

To me anything left is asking to be stolen.

Can't believe the dudes doing these prepper videos. Have there trucks packed with expensive tools and gear. Then tons of stickers on the back window advertising to thieves?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    My truck gun is an AK pistol. Small, concealable if need be, packs a punch. I have zero worries about exposure to the elements. I keep it locked in a lockbox that I installed for the sole purpose of keeping a truck gun secure. If you get the right lockbox you can keep a pack and all your bug out/get home safely secured in there as well.

I used to work across town and had to travel through some not so nice neighborhoods. My AK (and kit) was in there just in case there were some "peaceful protesters" blocking the roadways and I had to hoof it home. It was also there so whenever I'd travel longer distances I always had something with me that was SHTF-worthy.

The idea of a truck gun makes a lot of sense. If you can carry a long gun, why would you not carry a long gun?

Top Bottom