• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I fired a .50 caliber Black powder rifle the other day. I think I am hooked. Any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from before I buy a rifle?

M67

Grandmaster
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You looking into caplock, flint lock, or inline? Looking for fun, hunting, or both?

Some older muzzle loaders are good, some stay far away from cause you can't find parts, no warranty, company disown, etc. (older CVA (pre BPI) have no warranty but you can find parts but stay away from certain models, TC Scout and some other models are just bastards, older Remington 700s)

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    First questions to answer is what's your budget? What's your intended purpose? (Paper punching and informal target shooting, small or large game hunting, etcetera)
    You can pick up a good, used Thompson Center or Lyman for $300-400 or you can get a handmade, custom gun for $1200-1500 on up.

walleyepw

Master
    Sep 9, 2012
    If you are not going for the traditional, I would recommend the in-lines. In-line muzzle loaders are easier to maintain and clean.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I would like a modern Black Powered rifle. Inline as that what I shot and watched him clean. Just target shooting no hunting for now.
    I would like to be around $500.00 or lower if that's possible.
    It was really great fun to shoot. I was surprised at the low recoil when the gun fired. I shot it a few times but the giggles stayed with me the rest of the day

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    I'll let others help you with this endeavor. Traditional black powder guy, here. 90% flintlock long rifles and 10% percussion rifles/shotguns.
    Be safe and have fun, Sir.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If want a basic inline go with CVA Wolf. $175 new with no scope. Or you can get it with scope & starter kit for around $230.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Used Knight MK85, an excellent hunting rifle.

I second this suggestion. Knight started the inline revolution and made the highest quality modern rifles. I have one dating back to the early 1990s and it still drives tacks with sabot loads.

They went out of business for a bit but after restructuring they're back again and making great rifles.

If you can get a clean one with a good barrel and no corrosion you'll be quite happy.

Looks like Ike there is actually one on GunBroker now for under $200.

And keep in mind if you do buy used they can ship it directly to you as muzzloaders do not require an FFL transfer or background check.

gregr

Master
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I hunt with a Knight .50 cal Disc Extreme. It`s the camo stock and SS barrel, topped with a 3x9 Leupold VariX II. Know however, the Knight is not as easy to take down to clean as the newer break-action rifles.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I'm going to recommend CVA. I had a Buckhorn that I killed a bunch of deer with. Sold it several years ago and started using my Wolf. Both are great guns and would serve you well.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I as also bit by the black powder bug. I bought a clean used stainless TC Encore and couldn't be happier. My intension was to extend my hunting season. The 209 ignition is about as close to a center fire as you can get. I'm also shooting the blackhorn 209 powder which is a nitrocellulose based alternative to black powder. It's much easier to clean without the nice rotten egg smell or soaking your barrel in the bath tub. I put 20 shots through it at the range with no patching between shots and it was barely dirty when I pulled the breech plug.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Take some time and do a google search for blown up black powder rifles. There were a couple of pretty common brands that had a bad batch of barrels that were coming apart and injuring people.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Let's get a couple of things clear here. Modern inlines are not black powder rifles. They are muzzleloaders that were designed to use substitute powders and usually fire modern designed projectiles.

Black powder rifles are mostly traditional designs that use real black powder and lead round balls and sometimes pointy bullets. Normally ignited by flint, or a percussion cap.

No I am not against the modern type, but have never understood how anyone could call them BP rifles.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Mar 23, 2013
    If you can stretch a little over $500 and be a little patient, you're not too far off price for a used Savage 10ml. It's made to shoot several different smokeless powders. It's a whole different animal when it comes to measuring charges, (weight, not volume), but they're really a lot of fun, without the corrosive mess of bp or bp substitutes. Savage quit making them a few years back, but they do turn up used from time to time on GunBroker. Muzzleloading is a bunch of fun!

Top Bottom