• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Like most of us trying to get the most out of the least amount of resources. I think I've finally came as absolutely close as I can to that goal. I wanted a compact system to take along with me to do Run-N-Gun and other type of carbine style shoots as well as maybe double as a go to SHTF system. Although its not ideal for every situation (no one system is) I think it comes close enough to making the most out of a number of situations.

This is my SBR/SPR combo with one lower using a Rise Armament rigger & w/ two uppers, in one small 36" carry pack. The SBR is wearing a Leupold 1-4x VX1 in an Aero mount with a 10.5" Faxon barrel with a light weight rail, this keeping the weight down pretty good (~6lbs, not bad IMO for including a magnified optic & heavy YHM QD mount) for closer end stuff out to a 100-150yrds. Then the SPR upper has a Larue Stealth 18" barrel, with light weight rail and a Nikon 4-12 buckmaster II scope (their a great scope, super clear glass and super light weight at only 13.6oz!) in a TMS mount, the weight on this is obviously a little heavier at ~7-1/2lb but being able to get out to 300yrds or so with just having to push a couple pins is well worth a little more weight. We've all that one favorite gun and I think this very well may be making that designation for me, I don't think I've ever been so stoked about a system as this and having something as thought out and useful with a very practical application.

Go_Pack.jpg

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    That's awesome! I was just wondering the other day if anyone does this. It seems more cost effective to have multiple uppers and just a couple of lowers. It seems like more often than not most people on here have multiple complete rifles. Does this have to do with a preferred trigger group for certain jobs or just personal preference or...?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks! Basically just trying to stream line a system to fit as many different scenarios as possible. I to have a few different built and put together rifles but to carry multiple rifles to a course or a shoot is just cumbersome and not really needed for what I do. So I just put a better trigger in my SBR lower and kind of just went with this.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That's a nice kit. Have you thought about getting the lower even shorter? I didn't want to use a non standard bcg so went with a Maxim Defense CQB stock. A little pricey but it would get you down to a much shorter and stealthier case.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks! Yea I thought about it, but for the added expense vs the regular Magpul stock I really just couldn't justify anything like that. Especially when it comes to cheek weld when using the SPR upper.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Looks nice! I'm working on something like this too. My short range upper is a 14.5 with pinned FH, couldn't justify a SBR for this. Really like your setup!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Looks nice! I'm working on something like this too. My short range upper is a 14.5 with pinned FH, couldn't justify a SBR for this. Really like your setup!

Thanks! Yea nothing wrong with a pinned 14.5, I have one of those myself that was my primary carbine till I did the SBR.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I like that setup as well for me its a 14.5 inch BCM upper with a red dot, I plan to get a 1-4 or 1-6 power for longer range capability and a good larue QD mount rather than having two uppers simply because I cant justify building another upper right now.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea that's a nice setup! After using a 1-4 I just haven't been able to go back to a RDS on my primary rifle. The added capability vastly outweighs the bad for me. I know what you mean about the second upper, I fought tooth an nail to stay with a one rifle setup, but there just isn't one rifle that can do it all. Having the ability to just pin on that 18" SPR just makes a world of difference, but I hear ya for sure.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Rethinking this... Maybe it should be two vastly different uppers/guns?

Two uppers and one lower is nice but with the right ammo (ala mk262) & optic (ala Trijicon 1-8x) you could get the job done with one. MK262 in a 10" SBR is amazingly effective out to 400+ yards.

I think if I carry a second upper it'll be my 458 SOCOM. Something I could sink a boat full of pirates with.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I understand the concept, but if you have a lower for that second upper, you can arm a friend, or barter in a really tight pinch.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Rethinking this... Maybe it should be two vastly different uppers/guns?

Two uppers and one lower is nice but with the right ammo (ala mk262) & optic (ala Trijicon 1-8x) you could get the job done with one. MK262 in a 10" SBR is amazingly effective out to 400+ yards.

I think if I carry a second upper it'll be my 458 SOCOM. Something I could sink a boat full of pirates with.

The ideas are literally endless, lol. Only thing that Ive thought of as a side thought from what i went with was a rifle in 6.5 Grendel & or upper, but then you have added ammo cost and a round that wouldn't be readily available in a SHTF situation. The 458 would be nice for sure, but you run into the problem of having to carry extra ammo, that im assuming would be a bit heavier. My big thing was weight and being able to keep it down as low as I could with still being able to get out to a respectable distance. It really just goes to show there is no perfect system :( although some do get close.....

Top Bottom