• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    k, I happened to be in a lgs on Thurs. and a supplier/rep for one of the wholesale companies (middle men) was there. He was telling us that there are so many ar's because of the fear of an H.C. presidency. A lot of manufacturers increased production of these weapons in hopes to make a lot of extra money. So many that by summer, they will be selling at their production cost just to move the inventory. He said less than $500 per and for the ones that big box retailers have, look for a $370 to $425 cost point. Thoughts?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The rush to fill an anticipated void in hopes of ridiculous profits has back fired and ruined the resale value of my really nice AR's.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    If the MFRs had not gone full bore on production AND hrc had won, I suspect that many would be decrying the $500 cost of lowers today. Guys what we need to do right now is buck up and buy up everything we can afford. Four years from now there will be another election, and I doubt that the gun haters will let up. So lets take advantage of every opportunity to buy now and keep those companies in business. The competition has been good for us, lets keep them producing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Buyers market! Buy cheap and stack deep.

Sucks I missed the boat.
    Would like to dump the two I got and get one upper tier rifle. Looks like they will have to sit in the safe awhile.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Buyers market! Buy cheap and stack deep.

Sucks I missed the boat.
    Would like to dump the two I got and get one upper tier rifle. Looks like they will have to sit in the safe awhile.

You haven't missed the boat, it hasn't sailed yet. The sales are still on the horizon.
    keep the two you have, and buy more over the next four years.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I plan on buying a few more over the next year. Lots of good rifles available under $600. I always prefered to build but at some of these prices i may as well buy a couple factory built

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Quality AR's will remain priced the same, all the also rans will be whored out even cheaper than they were, just to get rid of them.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    He's telling the truth. Distributors are selling them off for the lowest prices I've seen in years. PSA, AIM, CDNN, Centerfire, etc., are blowing them out. I've been seeing whole rifles for $450.

I haven't seen any for $370 to $425 yet but figure they're going to offer them up to the big places first and then the smaller LGS and even straight to consumer from FFLs. If the price of "cheap" ARs comes down, the price of "quality" (why do people call "expensive" ARs "quality" ARs?) will come down as well. If they're not selling as many of their expensive ARs they'll start to be more competitive. Capitalism rocks!

They're trending down. They'll continue to trend down until someone does something stupid again and the Tyrant in Chief decides to use his pen and his phone to make yuuuge common sense new gun laws. Until then... it's a buyer's market!

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Because higher cost ( mil spec) ar's are higher quality. Most lower tier ar's are made with low cost parts and are over gassed causing increased wear

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My experience has been "budget" ARs and AR barrels can be 'overgassed' when using 5.56 pressure ammunition...but they work great with cheap Wolf/Tula 223 steel case ammo which tends to be lower pressure than brass case 223.

Conversely, BCM/DD and match barrels can work great with 5.56 pressure ammo, but can have function issues running steel case ammo.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So here's a proposal: buy a bargain AR, train with it like mad, run steel cased ammo. By the time you wear out the crappy barrel, you'll be a really good shooter. Swap out the barrel, BCG and some other stuff you want to.

To recap: buy $450 rifle, run $3-5k in cheap ammo through it, drop $400 in quality repair parts in it. Viola! Good shooter and good rifle.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Got a flyer today from MidwayUSA.
    They're offering AR Stoner stripped lowers for $49.99 anodized or $39.99 in the white.
    Turn a few pages and there's the rest of the rifle, AR Stoner, in 5.56 Nato carbine for $399.99
    So, if you don't count the transfer on the lower, you can get a full rifle kit for under $450!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got a flyer today from MidwayUSA.
    They're offering AR Stoner stripped lowers for $49.99 anodized or $39.99 in the white.
    Turn a few pages and there's the rest of the rifle, AR Stoner, in 5.56 Nato carbine for $399.99
    So, if you don't count the transfer on the lower, you can get a full rifle kit for under $450!

I have used some AR stoner parts and they ran very well. Never stressed them to the point of failure but the barrels were spot on accurate.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Prices are falling, we will never see a big discount on "top shelf" rifles the margin is just not there on firearms. I no doubt think we will see >$500 AR's in the next four years however. Now if definitely the time to buy AR stuff if you want it the market is over-saturated and prices are low, just picked up a LWRC rifle myself (always wanted one but could not justify custom 1911 prices for an AR) for $1430. Now the old Rugers piston guns still run fine but with the LWRC in the safe I doubt they will see much use ever again.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I'm hoping for a price drop on AR10's. I have one stripped lower for a 15 and I'll complete it but after that I'm looking for a 308 variant. If there is a drop on the 10's hopefully it happens around late summer or early fall.

Top Bottom