• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Took my Gen 2 RPR in .308 to Atterbury Saturday to sight in the Vortex scope and do some barrel breakin. Fired mostly Hornady 168gr AMax match ammo, the results for me were really good. Had the scope sighted in after 9 rounds. This is my best 100 yard 5-round grouping (before I made the final adjustments to put me in the center of the red). I think I love this gun, and the weather was amazing for January.

IMG_3414.JPG

All that goodness, but I will be changing out the stock. I'll give it to Ruger for trying something new, but that stock seemed impossible to get tight enough to stop the recoil from pushing the stock in. Next time she sees the light of the range, she'll be sporting the Magpul PSR2. Oh, and if you were shooting next to me Saturday, my apologies for the muzzle brake blast. :dunno:

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks! I tried everything I could to get the stock bolts tight enough to stop the stock from slipping under recoil.
    Good thing the RPR easily accepts AR stocks. I do like the rifle, and the new muzzle brake really reduces felt recoil.
    For the cost of the RPR, a new stock doesn't add a lot of expense to the package.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thats interesting about the stock. Still sucks having to replace a stock due to it not working correctly. Looks like accuracy is spot on though, that Hornady ammo shoots very well for me as well...

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Sounds like you had fun and enjoyed the new firearm. To bad about the stock. I think I would contact Ruger and let them know about the problem.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Congrats on the RPR. The concussion was not a problem, I just packed up away my Ruger American rimfire and pulled out my Model 13 357 and went to the pistol range to scare the snowflakes. What a great day of January shooting at Aterbury.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Took my Gen 2 RPR in .308 to Atterbury Saturday to sight in the Vortex scope and do some barrel breakin. Fired mostly Hornady 168gr AMax match ammo, the results for me were really good. Had the scope sighted in after 9 rounds. This is my best 100 yard 5-round grouping (before I made the final adjustments to put me in the center of the red). I think I love this gun, and the weather was amazing for January.

View attachment 52617

All that goodness, but I will be changing out the stock. I'll give it to Ruger for trying something new, but that stock seemed impossible to get tight enough to stop the recoil from pushing the stock in. Next time she sees the light of the range, she'll be sporting the Magpul PSR2. Oh, and if you were shooting next to me Saturday, my apologies for the muzzle brake blast. :dunno:

Looks very nice! I've heard of others changing out the stock too. Seems that the only real thing people dislike. I've been a fan of Ruger for many years and the contents of my safe show it.
    As far as the Muzzle Brake Blast look into one of the BFD's from Indian Creek Design. Click on the Shop Now then scroll down for the firearms stuff. I have them on multiple guns and they are great. I did a pre-release review of it here. The pre-production version I had is stainless steel. Current production is hard anodized aluminum. Much lighter. Zach at Fort Liberty put a production model on an AR10 and said it reduced the blast a huge amount. Look on Youtube for ICD BFD reviews. Everyone of them has been positive.
    Dan

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Looks very nice! I've heard of others changing out the stock too. Seems that the only real thing people dislike. I've been a fan of Ruger for many years and the contents of my safe show it.
    As far as the Muzzle Brake Blast look into one of the BFD's from Indian Creek Design. Click on the Shop Now then scroll down for the firearms stuff. I have them on multiple guns and they are great. I did a pre-release review of it here. The pre-production version I had is stainless steel. Current production is hard anodized aluminum. Much lighter. Zach at Fort Liberty put a production model on an AR10 and said it reduced the blast a huge amount. Look on Youtube for ICD BFD reviews. Everyone of them has been positive.
    Dan

Thanks Dan, I'll check them out.

CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    You said you went to Camp Atterbury what kind of long distance ranges do they have? I've been there for training more times than ifld like to remember but I didn't know they had public ranges.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Top Bottom