• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    I imagine several folks here have a Swiss K31. I just obtained one late last year and will be getting to the range with it for the first time this coming weekend.

A discussion started in another thread regarding the use of a loop sling with a K31 (which also probably applies to many other older 3/4 or full stock rifles). The forward attachment for a K31 sling is at the 9:00 position on the stock rather than the more customary 6:00. Applying tension to a sling attached this way while shooting is said to torque the barrel and result in unpredictable POI. This seems entirely plausible.

Apparently, some folks refit the sling attachment so it is at the 6:00 position. The claim is that this alleviates or at least reduces the effect of applying force to the stock/barrel via a sling compared to using the 9:00 sling attachment. I fail to see what difference this makes as nothing has changed except the direction in which force is being applied to the barrel. You are still torquing the barrel, right? The torque is just being applied in the vertical rather than horizontal plane.

My understanding is that the Swiss don't use the sling as an assist in steadying the rifle. The rifle was designed such that the receiver/barrel only contacts the stock at three points: the rear of the receiver, the front of the receiver and the front of the stock. The rifle is "tuned" by adjusting the screw at the top of the rear receiver tang. This results in changing the tension (or absence of it) on the stock between the rear of the receiver and the front of the stock; the front of the receiver acting as a "fulcrum" for this tension.

Any K31 experts here with "real world" experience?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hmm... Mine has a fairly lose feel in the stock. It shoots OK @ 2-3 MOA. Maybe I will strip it down to investigate.

I do also have an 1898 / 1911 rifle and could borrow its sling band. The 6:00 sling position benefits feel pretty obvious to me. Those bands are available from several sellers on eBay.

The other problem I have is the sling position is pretty far forward. My 1903A3 leather sling is way too short + the rear doesn't fit onto the Swiss stock's attachment point. The M1 web sling kind of snaps into place at the rear.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can you flip the barrel band upside down or reverse it so the forward sling mount is on the opposite side of the rifle? I have even looped the sling over the top and got away with it.

Or

Grab a dog collar from a Mosin, or your dog, and strap the forward sling position just ahead of where the stock tapers. It works perfectly on a Mosin or a P14. Once you sling up the tension draws the sling/dog collar back to the thick part of the stock and it stops solid. Works for me.

Need a picture?

DAve

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, I forgot there is a dedicated Swiss rifle forum as well. The Swiss Rifles Message Board Forums
    I also used to frequent the defunked surplusrifle.com, and now Surplusrifle Forum ? Index page

Both great boards.

Back to slings.
    I did pull the front 6:00 band off of my 1911 and it does fit perfectly. If you can find one of those from eBay + the funky screw I think that's your best option.
    Use the issued Swiss rear sling hook and clip your M1 sling's hook into that.

2lvb8tx.jpg
    2i96sz9.jpg

Top Bottom