AR Rookie: Build Them Myself or Pay Someone Else To?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you recommend I have these systems built?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    So I'm a pretty handy guy, and I'm well-versed with YouTube. But here is my question: is it wise to build my first three ARs myself, or should I just pony up and pay my local shop $85 for each gun to do it for me?

I'm particularly interested in knowing my systems inside and out. And these are pretty nice set-ups. My concern is that I'm not sure I want "rookie workmanship" on something I need to work if the SHTF--especially after I've dropped $3,500 to buy exactly the systems I want.

It seems like I can buy the necessary tools for a similar price as the 3 x $85 build fee.

What would you do? I really want to get this part of my project right.

Thanks for your insight...

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    So I'm a pretty handy guy, and I'm well-versed with YouTube. But here is my question: is it wise to build my first three ARs myself, or should I just pony up and pay my local shop $85 for each gun to do it for me?

I'm particularly interested in knowing my systems inside and out. And these are pretty nice set-ups. My concern is that I'm not sure I want "rookie workmanship" on something I need to work if the SHTF--especially after I've dropped $3,500 to buy exactly the systems I want.

It seems like I can buy the necessary tools for a similar price as the 3 x $85 build fee.

I think by your post you already know the answer. Build them. You say you are handy and Youtube isn't scary or the like. $85x3 is a lot of money to rely on someone else. By building you will know the weaknesses and strengths of each build. There are some tricks to building but some simple searches will readily revel them.
    Dan

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I think by your post you already know the answer. Build them. You say you are handy and Youtube isn't scary or the like. $85x3 is a lot of money to rely on someone else. By building you will know the weaknesses and strengths of each build. There are some tricks to building but some simple searches will readily revel them.
    Dan

Thanks. That's what I'd like to do. This kind of reminds me of having my first kid. When I left the hospital, my wife and I both thought "they really think it's a good idea for us to talk out of here with this baby?" When you're a rookie, it can be hard to believe you won't screw something up.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Who are you paying $85 each for the builds? Why have you done three at once?

The local shop where I bought some of the parts offers the build as a service.

I'm building three because my eyes were only recently opened to this world, and I felt compelled to have a means for me and my boys to be able to defend our retreat. I suppose I could have done one at a time... but why wait?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are not versed in the AR enough to require some very specific feature of quality that is rare, why assemble them from parts? There are literally hundreds of variants on the market. Current prices are about a good as I have seen in the last 5 years. If you have legal lowers, they will still have serial numbers that live on the 4473 paperwork. If they are assembled from quality parts, you will save little, if any money. They are not an investment, but a purchase. A frankenstein build AR really does not command as much for trade in value as a bone stock brand name.

I can see if you just want the personal satisfaction, or to maybe make it a father/son activity. That has an intangible value of it's own.

A good 1/16th punch and pretty much any brand of barrel wrench is good. Vise blocks are nice or if you are handy you can notch out some wood blocks yourself. It is not like you will need a lathe and a mill to fit the parts for assembly.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you have the proper tools to do this. A barrel nut wrench/torque wrench/castle nut wrench are a good start.
    There are more things that if are going to do this with any regularity are nice to have.

As Leo stated you can get around some of this if you are handy.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

This may have already been addressed but just to save someone possibly having charges filed against them, you cannot pay someone to build a firearm or even assemble in this case the lower (firearm), unless they are a ffl with manufacturer classification. If you buy a lower and a lower parts kit from a store they can put it together for you as a courtesy. But they cannot legally assemble the complete firearm for you as a part of the sale or for a fee.
    Now the upper is just a part. So the above rules don't apply. Technically it's all grey area.
    Put it together yourself. A monkey can put an AR together. Just watch reliable videos or read from reliable sources so that proper specs are followed.
    so I hope your local shop is a manufacturer or it's probably just a matter of time before they get into trouble.
    just trying to offer help. Sorry to be Debby downer

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Build them yourself. Its easy. Get the proper tools and watch some videos. I've built 6 so far and its fun to me. Kind of a hobby. And when you build them yourself you can buy the parts(handguards, grips, stocks,etc) you want and not have to replace in the future because you dont like what came on the factory build.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Build them yourself. Its easy. Get the proper tools and watch some videos. I've built 6 so far and its fun to me. Kind of a hobby. And when you build them yourself you can buy the parts(handguards, grips, stocks,etc) you want and not have to replace in the future because you dont like what came on the factory build.

Thanks for the input. To answer a few different posts, I know I could have just bought them. But my goal was to understand these systems, set them up for different, specific purposes, and have them mirror each other in a few ways as to make them very interchangeable. I wanted to understand the pros and cons of different materials, specs, and manufacturers. I would never have developed the knowledge I now have if I wouldn't have spent time researching each part. It's a labor of love... now I know I'm no expert, but I'm not just some dude with AR's in a closet. I know exactly what I've got, their limitations, and their strengths and weaknesses. I want that same familiarity with the guts of them... I just want to make sure I don't foul up all of the time and investment I've put into getting just what I want by building them myself.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Ask yourself the following question- "How do I know that the guy I am paying to build my ARs knows what he is doing, and what assurance do I have that they will be done correctly?" I have seen many proclaim to be gunsmiths, heck a guy with a hammer and a chisel could be a gunsmith. If you have more confidence in him than yourself then have him build them. Otherwise build them yourself. If you run into questions along the way just check back here, I am sure you will get some help. Good luck.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    It's all fairly easy. If you watch some videos on the process, ensure you have the required tools, and take your time, you won't have a problem. I've done one and working on my second. No experience before my first build. And I didn't have any problems.

for tools you just need a barrel but wrench, castle nut wrench (you can get a combo tool from several manufacturers) punches, vise, and torque wrench. Should be able to get all those for less than 85x3. And then you have more tools. Can never have too many tools.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Have an INGO beer & pizza build night. I'm sure there are several members that would attend and bring the proper tools & their knowledge base. If you're not in a huge hurry then set it up to take place in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it can be done for less than the $250 the LGS wants, you'd meet some good people and have much more fun.

Top Bottom