• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They can all change barrels but if the receiver is marked SB1, it can not handle heavier calibers. The rifle receivers are marked SB2 iirc.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    To attempt to address value I would refer you to Graybeard outdoors forum. There you can get valuable info. on the capabilities of your rifle, mods and may even get an offer if you post it for sale.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    What they said is correct. No high pressure, high power barrels on those frames. I had three of them and reamed two to .357 Max which worked great with no issues. Made a nice deer rifle. That really extends its range and makes it a viable 150 yard gun.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I bought that same gun for my son to use for deer hunting. It's a tack driver and real easy to shoot. It's also fun to plink around with cheaper .38 ammo.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've seen lots of people talking about going to .357 max and it's mainly what has got me curious about this gun. That tickles my fancy and has me interested. Randy did you do it yourself or take it to gunsmith? I haven't shot this little guy and not sure I will if I end up getting rid of it. But I think if it becomes a .357 max it'll be a even better little gun. I've got a ruger 77/357 that I just love and took this gun on trade towards a boat. Older fella bought it and scoped it but never ever shot it. He didn't really want to come off of it but I didn't much wanna get rid of the boat if I wasn't leaving with a gun haha. So again I not real sure on what it's even worth. I've seen one listed for a ridiculous amount that ended up selling but it didn't say what the final selling price ended up being.

My H&R was a decent shooter at .357 Mag. I reamed it out to .357 Max. It still shoots really well. I have shot with .35 Remington rifle style bullets as well at XTPs. (Used 35 Rem. seating die top screwed into .357 Mag die.) The barrel is the size of the .44 Mag in thickness, so it has plenty of beef for the .357 diameter.

I was able to get up to 2200-2300 FPS without any pressure signs. +/- 2" to 200 yards, with 180 grain Rifle bullet I think it was. Not a bad little rifle.

I still have the .357 Max reamer. It was about 10 minutes of careful work to open it up. If you are interested in trying it out, I would be willing to part with it at half price I paid. You use tapping fluid and just go slow and check length often with correctly lengthed brass.

I do get a temperature shift after first shot. It takes a while to get your cold shot groups for hunting dialed in, as you need to pop open the rifle and cool it down.

Edit: Here was the thread I made when I got mine: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/110476-357-handi-rifle-first-outing.html

Pictures are history, unfortunately.

Last edited:

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've seen lots of people talking about going to .357 max and it's mainly what has got me curious about this gun. That tickles my fancy and has me interested. Randy did you do it yourself or take it to gunsmith? I haven't shot this little guy and not sure I will if I end up getting rid of it. But I think if it becomes a .357 max it'll be a even better little gun. I've got a ruger 77/357 that I just love and took this gun on trade towards a boat. Older fella bought it and scoped it but never ever shot it. He didn't really want to come off of it but I didn't much wanna get rid of the boat if I wasn't leaving with a gun haha. So again I not real sure on what it's even worth. I've seen one listed for a ridiculous amount that ended up selling but it didn't say what the final selling price ended up being.

I sent mine off to have it done. My buddy and his dad plus me so we sent three at one time. That was a few years ago and I think it was $60.00 ea. Graybeard out doors has an H&r section and may have a reamer rental program.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Saw one on greybeard already reamed to max for 350, including some brass. They do have a rental deal on reamers. I havent done a 357 but did ream a 44 mag to 445 supermag. Not rocket science.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    The value of these Handi-Rifles have went up since they stopped production a few years ago. I remember when we were selling these new for 189.00 plus tax. You have to find the load they like but they shoot pretty good for a budget priced rifle. My buddy killed several deer with his 357 in some handloads I did with Hornady 158 XTP's.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you ream it, make sure you can find 357 max brass. Production and availability is sporadic. You can ream it yourself by borrowing or buying a reamer and doing it by hand.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It sucks to come into a thread that has been heavily MODified. Does getting caught trying to bypass the 50 post rule lead to a 6 month ban from the classified?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So what is the process for getting new barrels for Handi-Rifles? Can you send the new ones in to have a new barrel head spaces to your receiver?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There are people who will make barrels by stubbing into an old H&R or NEF barrel . If you aren't familiar with the process, they take an unwanted barrel from another caliber/gauge and cut it off just ahead of the receiver lug and thread the chamber area. Once they have that completed a new barrel is threaded and installed to be chambered. It isn't cheap, but if you really want something you have to pay for it. I believe David White in OK is still doing them.

Top Bottom