How noticeable is weight at end of barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I currently have a suppressor on my 12.5" barreled AR. It weighs a whopping 25 oz. , and I can definitely feel it. There's a service being offered by the suppressor manufacturer to have your suppressor sent in and have certain parts upgraded to titanium (from stainless steel). The weight savings would be 4 oz. The upgrade costs $350. My question is, would it be worth it to have my suppressor upgraded for 4 oz of weight savings? Or is 4 oz not noticeable in every day use?

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Take something that weighs about that, like I think some small containers of food do, and hang it off the end of your barrel (can even be with the suppressor on it). Shoulder it for awhile.

Take the thing off, then shoulder again.

See if you can tell a difference.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'll do just that. Part of me feels like 4 oz is nothing, but the other part of me feels like I won't be as happy with my suppressor knowing that it could be lighter. And it's not like I could just by a lighter suppressor for $350.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    A lot of $ To still be over 20 oz.... Assuming a 308 can on a 223? I'd save and get a 223 can where you'd save a half lb or more. My 308 can is 20 oz, and I'd like a lighter can still

-rvb

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Not worth it at all. Lightweight cans don't have the same sustained rate of fire as the heavier cans. Best way to make your silencer rifle feel lighter is to put extra weight on the front of it, handle it a lot, then when you go shoot it remove the extra weight.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Not worth it at all. Lightweight cans don't have the same sustained rate of fire as the heavier cans. Best way to make your silencer rifle feel lighter is to put extra weight on the front of it, handle it a lot, then when you go shoot it remove the extra weight.

Kind of like putting the donuts on your bat for batting practice when you're on deck in baseball?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom