• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Looking at replacing an cheap bipod I had sitting around that is now on a Ruger Precision Rifle with something better suited to the weight of the gun.

My first choice would be the old standby Harris bipod for around $100.

If you have a higher end bipod, is it really three times the cost better than a Harris and what brand/model? Atlas?

My use will be 75% bench and 25% prone. Often off of the bench, I am as likely to use bags as the bipod...

Just looking for your experiences.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've never had a reason to get anything besides a Harris. I've not seen the need for the higher end ones. If the Harris works for you I'd say go for it.
    Dan

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've never used a bi-pod for hunting large game. My rifle rests have always been from nature when needed.

Is an Atlas worth it? Well....is it the shot of a lifetime?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Only had a Harris (and a knockoff). All others LOOK really cool, but seem really heavy when I play with them. I am a sucker for thinking the sharp feet and ski feet are awesome, maybe someday.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I purchased the Larue-modified Harris bipod. It was definitely pricey, but it had a couple things that made it worth it for me:

It was a Harris, so I knew it would be solid.
    It could swivel and tilt, which I wanted, since not all shooting would be done from a bench or flat ground.
    It was a QD mount to picatinny rail. I only wanted to buy one bipod, and just switch it between rifles.

It was pricey, but for me it was well worth the expense.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Harris with the tilt & swivel feature provides minute of angle capability. It took a while to find a deal on one but I paid $80 for the SBR.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Are higher priced bipods worth their price, yes. For me it was articulation of legs that steered me toward a +$300 bipod. If your needs don't justify looking beyond a Harris don't. If it ain't broke don't fix it

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If you are planning on doing most of your shooting off sandbags why invest the money in an expense bipod? I prefer sandbags over bipods for most of my target shooting. I use Harris Bipods when one is needed.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all of the input on these... for new guys, all of this information is invaluable. I'm in the middle of my first couple of builds, and this is better information than I can find anywhere on the web.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I purchased the Larue-modified Harris bipod. It was definitely pricey, but it had a couple things that made it worth it for me:

It was a Harris, so I knew it would be solid.
    It could swivel and tilt, which I wanted, since not all shooting would be done from a bench or flat ground.
    It was a QD mount to picatinny rail. I only wanted to buy one bipod, and just switch it between rifles.

It was pricey, but for me it was well worth the expense.

This looks like a great option. Larue brings a few options on board that I don't understand why Harris hasn't implemented.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are higher priced bipods worth their price, yes. For me it was articulation of legs that steered me toward a +$300 bipod. If your needs don't justify looking beyond a Harris don't. If it ain't broke don't fix it

This ^^^

My Atlas allows for legs forward or back, swivel and pan. The Harris SBR is a great bipod but the Atlas offers some advantages and is built like a tank. An Atlas is probably not needed for prone or bench shooting but it does offer significant benefits if you shoot in more diverse environments.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I put a LRA bipod on my .300 WM. It's an 18 pound rifle set up to stretch out a bit. It is the most solid bipod I've ever shot off of outside an F class monster. I use a Harris on some lighter rifles, but for this particular rifle, I wanted serious stability. The LRA delivers that.

Top Bottom