• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I want to buy a 5.56mm AK for the sake of ammo commonality.

• I'd like to be able to use my 5.56 suppressor with it.
    • If possible, I'd like to SBR it and cut the barrel down to somewhere in the 8-12" range. Based on the AK design I imagine the minimum barrel length is restricted by the gas tube?
    • I'd like to have an optic mount on it too. I'd prefer a receiver side-mount, but would settle for something like an Ultimak Rail.

Being able to use the Magpul ZHUKOV stock would be a plus.

Does anyone sell a gun that meets these criteria? Do you have experience with any of them?

Thanks! :ingo:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Best I can say is to try and find a saiga 223. I think a 12 inch barrel is in the realm of possibility. If you want to keep iron sights you'll have to swap out the gas block for a fs/gb combo. You'd be best off to either buy and install an ar magazine adapter or instal the proper bullet guide and get Bulgarian circle 10 mags that run about $45 a piece.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    .223 Saiga or a .223 Vepr.

the Saiga will be easiest to find parts for and typically come with a side rail. If you get a FSB/GB combo you can keep the factory gas system length and get a 12" barrel. IMO this is the most handy and practical SBR AK length. Plus with the Saiga all the standard AK stuff fits.

You can go as short as 8" with factory parts. The gas tube is shorter on the 8" barreled SBR, but they make a factory rifle that length so the gas tubes and pistons are out there.

Either way you go, you can get the barrel threaded for 1/2x28 and easily use your can as well.

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    All great choices another choice not mention yet would be the Arsenal slr106ur's (The UR is the 8in krinkov version and this model happens to be in 5.56) the 12" versions cop car and clay are talking about are the Compact rifle (CR) variants

and theres also the m85 yugo krinkov (PAP pistols) and the price point is pretty attractive..... while there is a decent amount of aftermarket parts out there they are far more limited than alot of the euro pattern variets

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For your consideration then [video=youtube;ZxhTNZ1wAsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhTNZ1wAsc[/video]

Top Bottom