• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey all,

I've been looking to buy a CMP M1 Garand for my father's birthday this year. He turns 76 and served in the army. I thought it would be a special present for him, but more than likely be shot by me.

I looked online to see what was available and only came up with this option (at least in my price range).

Item Number: RM1SPECIALFIELD

Description: CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

Does anyone have this particular rifle, or can give me an idea if the $830 is a good investment? I'm hoping for something that would not only be a symbol of pride for his service, but something that would be accurate as well. I've seen a few Garands online, but like the idea of the CMP and wanted to try and go that route.

The original version I had hoped to purchase was $1030. I believe it was the "next step up."

Item Number: RM1SPECIALWRA (now sold out)

Description: CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Winchester receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    Receiver may have pitting.

Any thoughts, insights, etc. would be helpful.

Link to the site: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I think you would do better going to a gun show and finding one that is original finish, has an original barrel, and not redone. My feeling is that if the CMP felt the rifle needed to be redone, then it must have been in pretty poor shape.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm sure that it was in bad shape before the CMP gunsmiths went through it; that would be the equivalent of a depot refurbishment. They would certainly not sell an unsafe weapon intentionally. It should be accurate with the new barrel and with a new walnut stock should look good too. As HK said there's always the gun show option.

Good luck, I'm sure your dad will enjoy it.

edit: After reading their description it should be a new finish rifle with visible pitting under the new finish. I would imagine that it would be what the call a 20' car...looks really good unless you get too close and scrutinize it then you can see that there are minor flaws.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I think you would do better going to a gun show and finding one that is original finish, has an original barrel, and not redone. My feeling is that if the CMP felt the rifle needed to be redone, then it must have been in pretty poor shape.

I had not thought of the gun show route. To be honest, this isn't something I've been looking for in the past when I would go to gun shows. Are Garand typically prevalent?

I'm sure that it was in bad shape before the CMP gunsmiths went through it; that would be the equivalent of a depot refurbishment. They would certainly not sell an unsafe weapon intentionally. It should be accurate with the new barrel and with a new walnut stock should look good too. As HK said there's always the gun show option.

Good luck, I'm sure your dad will enjoy it.

edit: After reading their description it should be a new finish rifle with visible pitting under the new finish. I would imagine that it would be what the call a 20' car...looks really good unless you get too close and scrutinize it then you can see that there are minor flaws.

I don't mind minor pitting so long as it generally looks good and functions well. A new finish, new barrel and stock are things I see as a positive. My father isn't one to get bent out of shape about it "not being authentic."

I'm also feeling a bit of a "time crunch" due to the availability of the CMP rifles. They're going pretty fast, and the options are becoming more limited.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012

This is not at all an accurate idea of what a CMP Special grade is.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    CMP Special, all grades, are considered Excellent (if not original). And given a quick look at Gunbroker the CMP price seems like a deal. As always...YMMV.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    The OP mentioned the word "investment". Personally, I do not see a refinished garand with visable pitting as being a "good investment".

Investment doesn't always mean monetary value. He also mentioned his desire to shoot it. Having an original barrel purchased at a gun show that may or may not be out of headspace or have excessive throat erosion without having the knowledge or gauges to determine that does not make for an accurate shooter and a damaged or bent op rod would certainly diminish the investment.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Unless you are qualified to determined the quality and safety of a gunshow Garand. Go the CMP route...the ones I have seen in that description have been the car equivalent of a real nice driver. Not gonna take first place at the car show; but it is fun to own.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You can't go wrong with a CMP Garand.
    Depending on what grade you buy, could have anew made stock or a new barrel.
    I picked up a field grade from CMP about 8 years ago, stock is dark an dinged up, finish is light on the high spots, but the throat and muzzle wear are both less than 1

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd also vote for the CMP. The sellers of Garands at the gunshows where I've seen them all seem to think they're made of gold. I have a Special Service Grade from the CMP and it's a beautiful rifle with a National Match barrel.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Very difficult for a "reputable" dealer to match CMP on any of their rifles. They may have added a new classification since I purchased mine but a cmp "special" was completely refurbished with original gi parts where serviceable or replaced with new. It received a new barrel, sling and stock. The correct grade I have is just that, manufacturer matching parts as it would have come from the manufacturer with a like new original stock. They also had field grade and rack grade IIRC. The CMP specials are definitely worth the money of your looking for a future generations family heirloom. Dad would probably be happy with a field grade as they were fully serviceable and would most closely represent the rifle he carried. Correct grades are now getting difficult to find and I believe are only being sold thru their auctions at this point. Go to Port Clinton or call them and speak directly to them for the straight skinny.

Whichever rifle you choose from cmp, you won't go wrong. Some of the crap they are selling at gunshows probably isn't even safe to shoot any more.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    If youre patient, you can score a nice service grade with USGI wood and barrel from 800-1000. Keep an eye out on gunboards and the CMP forums.

Whatever you do, dont buy one from Cabelas. They have some rough looking examples for well north of 2k.....lol.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If youre patient, you can score a nice service grade with USGI wood and barrel from 800-1000. Keep an eye out on gunboards and the CMP forums.

Whatever you do, dont buy one from Cabelas. They have some rough looking examples for well north of 2k.....lol.

There were a couple for sale in the classifieds a few weeks, maybe a couple of months ago now, right here.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The CMP is building these from their grade "C" receivers. Yeah, there is minor pitting in places that is visible, but doesn't effect function. They come with new barrels, new walnut stocks and freshly parkerized.

I am sure it will be a great shooter. I can't wait to see the pictures!

It is my intention, when my tax return hits my account, to drive to the CMP's North Store in Port Clinton and get one of the Winchester CMP Specials.

Top Bottom