Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ar-15 Sniper

Plinker

Ar-15 Sniper

For those of you who want a sniper rifle, here is some info for thought I found.
    The AR15 as a sniper rifle? While the debate continues on the acceptability of the .223 Remington cartridge for sniping purposes there is no doubt that the rifle designed to launch it is certainly up to the task, at least within Clearly Defined Limits. The AR15 in target, match and varmint configurations is probably the most accurate semi-automatic rifle in the world. Only custom tuned rifles can match its out of box accuracy. Some can not maintain this level of accuracy for very long while others can do so but at prices that place them completely out of the budgetary range of LE or civilian shooters. The AR based accuracy rifle on the other hand, is both affordable (by comparison) and easily created. I will not attempt to address the suitability of this .224 - 5.56mm projectile for sniping purposes in this article. There are far more knowledgeable authorities than I that can better debate the issue. All I will say is that within given limits, the round is usable. I would not consider it viable where glass penetration is an issue nor where Long Range was the norm. But it does appear to be affective at Law Enforcement ranges. It will certainly do nasty things to the human body out to a respectable distance. The real issue has more to do with how it performs against objects like body armor, glass or cover. In terms of terminal ballistics, a 150 yard head shot taken with a 62 grain or 69 grain .223 would certainly do the job. Some Law Enforcement specific loads may even do better. This would seem to place the round into the realm of LE sniper operations. With in the military, an heavy barreled M16 variant mounting a Flat Top upper and decent optical device would certainly make a respectable spotter's rifle as it provides rapid fire for team protection and has acceptable stopping power at combat ranges. While it is not ideal for the primary weapon, it is an excellent choice for the team where the odds of discovery are high. The spotter can carry a large combat load in comparison to a .308 rifle and it is far more controllable when the need for rapid fire becomes apparent. As a backup, it can also suffice for sniping out to and beyond 400 yards when necessary.

Certified Glock Nut
    Source? IMO, that article uses a whole bunch of words but actually says very little.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrock101 View Post
    For those of you who want a sniper rifle, here is some info for thought I found.
    The AR15 as a sniper rifle?
    Yup, chamber it in 6.5 Grendel and if the shooter is capable, then if you can see it you can kill it. Properly loaded, Grendel bullets stay supersonic out past 1000 yards, have less drop/drift than the 308 and retain greater velocity and energy at those ranges with only 1/2 the recoil of the 308.

Here is one of my Grendels that is not set up for 1000 yard shooting, but is plenty accurate to long ranges:

And here is another, this one with a laser rangefinding scope for long range shooting:

I've got a third, full custom, long range 6.5 Grendel, but no photo

I do agree that the AR15 platform can be amazingly accurate. The 6.5 Grendel pretty much maximizes its long range potential.

ar sniper

nice rifles

Chrisrock101,
    You should try to credit or source any quoted material you post. Could keep you out of trouble!
    thesurvivalpodcast

Have a DPMS Panther Bull 20, looking to put a Night Vision scope on it next year, need at least a 200 yard recognition range, 300 yard detection range, purpose is coyote hunting [and for other purposes]. Price range under $2500.00. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter521 View Post
    Source? IMO, that article uses a whole bunch of words but actually says very little.

The AR has already been implemented in sniper roles for sometime now. It is called the Special Purpose Rifle.

United States Navy Mark 12 Mod X Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go with the 6.5, 6.8, 308, 243, man there are alot of ar style rifles out there for a sniper. That is what is so neat about the ar platform. Even though for the 308, 243 you will have to go with the ar10 style. Worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Go with the 6.5, 6.8, 308, 243, man there are alot of ar style rifles out there for a sniper. That is what is so neat about the ar platform. Even though for the 308, 243 you will have to go with the ar10 style. Worth it though.
    I wouldn't choose the 6.8 for sniper use, the round runs out of power way too fast and even Remington has downgraded their ballistics by roughly 200fps.

As for the 243, there is an AR15 alternative choice for that round. Its the 243WSSM. That is available in the AR15 platform (uppers are available from Dtech, Accuracy Int'l and full guns from Olympic Arms), its ideal for long range work and would make an excellent coyote gun that could reach out easily to 600+ yards with the right loads.

Hehe, hey MD, at first glance, I saw this rifle:

Nice rifles BTW, I really want a 6.5 grendel, but I'm not sure I want to pay to feed it/stockpile it like all my other calibers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast