• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm looking into getting a 9mm pistol caliber carbine. There seem to be a ton of different choices out there right now and I'm looking for some input.

I'd like to stay away from AR variants, strictly because I already own 2 ar's.

What is out there that is worth second looks....

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Beretta Cx4 Storm rifle is a fantastic rifle. They're spendy, however...

The HiPoint carbines are, from my understanding, solid rifles too. But ugly - and really limited on capacity.

Don't know much about the Taurus one - other than also limited on capacity.

The Sig MPX is the bee's knees, however...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have had several. None of the 'newer' ones out now. I had an Uzi SBR, AR-9, several Kel Tec SUB2000's a Marlin Camp 9 and even a Hi Point Carbine. All ran fine each had its own merits and disadvantages. It kind of depends on what you want to do with it as far as what you'll like. Looking for a fun, historical blaster? A basic plinker? Something modern and 'tactical'? The AR's have a lot going for them, many options, East's to mount optics to, fairly cheap mags and they've been around long enough to get most of the bugs figured out on them.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I like something to plink but wouldn't let me down if I shot pcc class someday. I'm looking to spend up to 750. I keep coming back to the cx4 but wonder if I should look around more.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am in love with PCC carbines. I have many. Here are my thoughts on the ones I have:

Sig MPX: Mine is SBR'd and suppressed. My favorite gun I own. Still set up like an AR. Very reliable. Not cheap though.

Sub 2000: I have the 1st & 2nd Gen version in Glock 19 format. Love these guns. They are very quiet (even unsuppressed). Triggers are not great, but have been reliable guns and its is nice that they are foldable.

AR-9: I built my own 4" AR-9 SBR using a QC10 lower that takes glock mags. This gun is probably my 3rd favorite (after the AR-45 I built :) Not cheap to build and you have to use the right buffer/springs/bolt to make it run right.

Hi-Point 995: I have the newest generation and it is a solid, if ugly and bulky, rifle. Lifetime guarantee. But the mags are finicky if you get the pro-mag 15 rounders. Other than that, limited to 10 rounds.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've also got the 9mm carbine bug. I've got the three in the first photo although the AK is now SBR'd and looks like the 2nd photo. I suppress them all and are great to shoot that way.
    The P26 in the third photo will arrive today and will initially run with a folding Shockwave Blade (not the Sig Brace).
    None of these would be in your stated price range except for the Sub-2000 although you likely could build a 9mm AR for that or under.
    I also have a Tavor and plan to have a 9mm conversion kit for that at some point.

9mm%20Carbines_zpsvcikvroi.jpg

AKX9_1_zps8dadbmxd.jpg

P26%20Atlantic%20Photo%201_zps6s9kjxxz.png

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I also have several PCC's.
    I have the Ruger PC9, CZ Scorpion Carbine, CZ Scorpion pistol waiting on the Tax stamp and an Ar 9 that takes Glock mags. The Ruger is the heaviest. I have a blast with all of them. I have shot others and have others I want but these will do for now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Here my review of the 3 that I have.
    first and best choice is my "Hi Point 9mm"
    "0" malfunctions. They have large Capacity mag now.
    Price is very good for a very good weapon.

2nd choice is "JR carbine" 9mm
    it has been sent back many times for failure to function. Failure to feed or eject.

3rd is "Kriss Vector" 45 cal.
    The only good thing I can say about it is, it is easy to Disassemble to clean.
    Priced way to much.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I also have several PCC's.
    I have the Ruger PC9, CZ Scorpion Carbine, CZ Scorpion pistol waiting on the Tax stamp and an Ar 9 that takes Glock mags. The Ruger is the heaviest. I have a blast with all of them. I have shot others and have others I want but these will do for now.

I have seriously debated a scorpion pistol and a tax stamp. Would you suggest it? Not just a suggestion of "I like mine because I bought into the "club"" I really like my cz 75 and my new P09.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Once you change the safety lever and do a trigger job the Scorpion is a blast to shoot. That is why I have 3. Mags are cheap and plentiful. The only that sucks with the tax stamp is the wait. There are many stock options for the Scorpion already and it seems more keep popping up every day.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    CZ Scorpion pistol/SBR is a great option. Loads of aftermarket, solid ergonomics, and pretty dang affordable.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    CZ Scorpion pistol/SBR is a great option. Loads of aftermarket, solid ergonomics, and pretty dang affordable.

I second that, but the SBR part is depending on what you want to do with it. SBR means you got more legal options for stocks but the tax and wait time is a turn off, plus not carrying across state lines, and all the other BS that comes with it. I have mine as a truck gun with the new SBT folding brace thingy and it is awesome.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    wife wants a hipoint 995 in pink. think ill get her one for birthday next month. they make a 20 round mag for them so a few is a must.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    From the other PCC thread:
    I have tried and owned the following:
    Ruger PC9 - heavy, but sturdy, reliable, eats anything, uses my Ruger P-series mags, accurate enough. Get the ghost ring sight model if possible.
    HiPoint - cheap, hard to work on, but more accurate than it has any right to be, limited mag choice
    Sub 2000 (older model) - adapted Ruger P-series mags to fit (takes S&W), light, folds small, difficult cheek weld, takes some getting used to
    Calico - what's not to like with 50 and 100 round mags? Only kept the newest one - the older ones were unreliable

While PC9s are getting harder to find, it's still easy to get MecGar 17 round mags online, new, about $20.

JADAC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2017
    North Central
    I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 gen 2 glock variant. It is in the running for the cheapest PCC and offers a unique "folding" option that sets it apart from most of the competition.

Many people talk down about Kel-tec and frankly I don't see why. Their products are innovative, well priced, and (in my experience at least) perfectly serviceable. The S2K is no different. It's super lightweight, easy to maintain, takes common magazines, and is suitably accurate for government work. I'm quite pleased with mine and have gotten several positive comments on it when at the range. As much as I would love to have a Vector or a Scorpion Evo 3 my little sub 2 k has a place in my safe and likely won't ever get sold unless the next generation makes some huge improvements or someone comes out with something drastically better.

Is it the absolute best "go to hell" weapon, probably not. But it's a great little camp rifle, or survival carbine and it's a lot of fun to shoot. If it fits for what you need I would definitely recommend one. Do keep in mind, as said above the cheek weld is difficult for some. I equipped mine with the red lion rotating forend and a lower 1/3 red dot setup and love it.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    This is a great thread. I love my pcc' I have 3 kel tec gen 2 with all of mcarbo there toys makes a good gun great. Have a CZ scorpion evo 3 S1 with a fake can this is so very cool and great carbine I love it the sights are great the action is perfect runs like a top.
    But got a Freedom Ordnance FX-9 got it from classic arms only dealer this is a ar15 style. Great trigger heavy barrel easy to shoot it's so soft. I had to send it back to freedom ordnance they had it back in one day they are around Evansville they are a great company.
    If I could only have one pcc it would be my freedom ordnance hands down. Classic firearms is having a sale on them today 599.99 with two 33 round mags and pair of flip sights. It also takes glocks mags.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a TNW ASR in 9mm. I bought it used, $500.00. It is a reliable PCC. IT takes Glock mags and I have run several types of 9mm ammo through it with no malfunctions. I like the idea of being able to just change out the barrel and bolt..... now I have a 10mm PCC or change out the barrel and bolt and now I have a 45 ACP PCC. The barrel screws in... it's that simple.

The FX-9 from Classic Firearms/Freedom Ordnance looks interesting as well.

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    This is a great thread. I love my pcc' I have 3 kel tec gen 2 with all of mcarbo there toys makes a good gun great. Have a CZ scorpion evo 3 S1 with a fake can this is so very cool and great carbine I love it the sights are great the action is perfect runs like a top.
    But got a Freedom Ordnance FX-9 got it from classic arms only dealer this is a ar15 style. Great trigger heavy barrel easy to shoot it's so soft. I had to send it back to freedom ordnance they had it back in one day they are around Evansville they are a great company.
    If I could only have one pcc it would be my freedom ordnance hands down. Classic firearms is having a sale on them today 599.99 with two 33 round mags and pair of flip sights. It also takes glocks mags.

I also have a mcarbo'd KelTek S2k G17 Gen2 and it is my favorite rifle I own. The cheek weld is difficult, but once you figure out an optic solution that fits your needs (RedLion fore end, Midwest Industries S2k mount, or even Magpul offset optics mlok mount) it becomes a non issue.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I just took my uzi carbine out for her first outing. Idk if it's what you were looking for, but dang are they fun. Recoil is minimal, and it runs relatively quiet. Norico's can be had at $6-700 used. Imi start at $11-1200.

Top Bottom