• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    So I've been wanting a new turkey gun for a couple years, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I've always used my Remington 1100 that only shoots 2 3\4 shells, black synthetic, and pretty heavy. I have this beautiful Browning Gold Fusion that I bought new about 15 years ago, it's in near mint condition, Turkish walnut wood and beautiful bluing. It shoots 3 inch shells and is really light. Mossy Oak sells a camo wrap for shot guns that seems pretty durable, and easy to apply, so I bought some intending to put it on the 1100, but then I remembered the Browning...should I just get over the beauty of the Browning and make it the functional gun that I'm looking for? I've tried a couple of times to sell the Browning, to buy a turkey gun with no luck. It's sat in the safe for nearly 10 years now unfired, so why not use it? I'm just having a hard time putting "tape" on it since I paid around $900 for it years ago, and thats about what the blue book is on it now.
    Thoughts?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wouldn't.

But I would tell you to do whatever you think will bring you more enjoyment from the gun.

I'm not familiar with that model - is there a different stock/forearm combo that you could put on it that's more versatile and fairly cost effective?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you do not have an 870 that chambers 3" shells, this is a great excuse. I have hunted with a pretty gun before and I much prefer hunting with a gun I don't mind getting dinged up.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I wouldn't.

But I would tell you to do whatever you think will bring you more enjoyment from the gun.

I'm not familiar with that model - is there a different stock/forearm combo that you could put on it that's more versatile and fairly cost effective?
    I can get synthetic stock/forarm but, they are pricey...$150-$200 range

If you do not have an 870 that chambers 3" shells, this is a great excuse. I have hunted with a pretty gun before and I much prefer hunting with a gun I don't mind getting dinged up.
    Yea, I like synthetic and parkerized hunting guns.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't do it
    I don't recal who makes it but I have seen a wrap that is camo but is basically like an ace bandage I would consider that but not anything with adhesive. That would essentially ruin it

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Do it!

Someone had had to say it. It's your gun. Use it how you see fit. I'm not a "save it for the next guy" type though. I use my crap the way I want to, there are some I use less due to collector value, but they still get used.

Honestly though, without even seeing the gun or knowing what it looks like, there are plenty of cheaper "beater" shotguns out there better suited for the purpose.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

This. I got an 870 for goose hunting because I was tired of worrying about scratching nicer guns. It is nice to have some guns that are working guns, and some that are collecting guns.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I've been reading several reviews on the Mossy Oak graphics. They claim that it can be removed with no residue. It's a vinyl material that is applied with a heat gun, and removed the same. I think I'll goto my LGS first and try to work a trade. But if I can't work a deal I think I'll give it a try. I just can't see spending $400 on another shot gun that will be used once a year when I have this one, it's not really a collector.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As stated previously I can see using some kind of wrap to camo the gun to get some enjoyment out of it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it in the field and let it get some scratches. I have grown up taking Browning's into the field but one of the things that sets them apart from a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is their finish. In the OP you said you tried to sell it before without success. If you plan to keep it and it has to be camo make it happen. Just make sure it's what you want to do

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I'm not a turkey hunter, but I suspect that the advantage of 3" shells is not all that great.
    There are other solutions that allow you to camo up your shotgun without applying anything that has nasty adhesives or requires heat guns.
    Auto Shotgun Gun Cover | Boca Shield Protective Gun Cover

Now that looks like it is worth trying! Should be reusable, durable, and if promptly removed after a wet hunt it shouldn't cause rust.
    Regarding the difference in 2 3/4 and 3 inch, I know you reload, so you know what just a couple grains plus or minus can do. So just imaging adding a 1/4 inch of 12ga powder and shot! It's pretty significant.
    Thanks for the link Pink, I'm going to check it out.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I did the same thing awhile back. I got rid of it and went back to a good old pump gun.

If I were you I would dump the Browning for what you paid and get a Benelli Nova in camo. Put the rest back in the bank for a rainy day.

Top Bottom