For those who hunted with a .30-30, what style scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up another .30-30, Marlin 336Y Compact, and plan on setting it up for deer hunting. I will be installing an XS scout rail & peep sight combo which should give enough room either for a traditional scope or scout scope.

I am considering either a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm V-brite (illuminated reticle) or a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm Scout scope.

Basically, which is more beneficial in your experience, higher magnification or illuminated reticle. Trying to keep the cost of the scope down around $250 or less. I have a fixed 2.75x Burris on a .357 lever for public land hunting and a low power variable on a CZ in 7.62x39mm for private land already. So this is really an extra.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I hunt in the woods so it's 1-4 or 2-7 for me and the 1-4 works fine. Those are older Leupold scopes.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    For me it would be the 2-7X32 . It should gather more light and have a little more magnification . I can't see the need for illumination deer hunting .

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You'll almost certainly find the standard scope easier to use than the scout model.
    Its magnification should be just right for about as far as .30-30 can effectively reach out to, roughly 150-200 yards for most people.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Haven't spent much time in the woods deer hunting but considering limited range visibility, I would probably just get pretty much any decent tried & true 3-9x40. I would think the larger reticle would gather more light. I would say anything from Vortex, Weaver, Nikon etc would be fine for that application

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you hunt heavy cover and typically shoot most of your deer at first or last light the illuminated reticle should help you place shots more accurately and the standard scope would likely be easier to use than the scout style scope.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I used a 4x weaver on my Win94 but didn't care for the offset so went back to iron sights. At the range of most .30-30 engagements they work fine.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've never felt the need for an illuminated reticle while deer hunting, but I usually gauge "time to head in" by when I can't easily see my crosshairs.

Those low power scopes look pretty dang awesome on lever guns though...

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have a Leupold VX-II 4x32 on my early 80s Winchester 94. It is a really good shooter and is an extra gun for the deer blind. I wanted a scope with no objective lens bell, but I got antsy and went for the smallest one I could find locally.

My go to is my 1949 vintage Model 70 with a Bausch and Lomb BALVAR 2.5-8 scope.

IMO, low power scopes are still more than enough for a 30-30 in the Indiana deer woods.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    The one I hunted with was scopeless (1952 vintage model 94). Where I was I didn't feel it was needed. I have another with a 2-7x Burris scout scope on that I think is just perfect.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I picked up another .30-30, Marlin 336Y Compact, and plan on setting it up for deer hunting. I will be installing an XS scout rail & peep sight combo which should give enough room either for a traditional scope or scout scope.

I am considering either a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm V-brite (illuminated reticle) or a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm Scout scope.

Basically, which is more beneficial in your experience, higher magnification or illuminated reticle. Trying to keep the cost of the scope down around $250 or less. I have a fixed 2.75x Burris on a .357 lever for public land hunting and a low power variable on a CZ in 7.62x39mm for private land already. So this is really an extra.

A scope on a lever action rifle? In .30-30? Really? Sacrilege! IMHO!!!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A scope on a lever action rifle? In .30-30? Really? Sacrilege! IMHO!!!

No, not sacrilege; it's practical.
    Lots of folks don't have nearly the visual acuity that they had when they were younger.
    Also, there have been some significant technological advances with .30-30 ammo, especially Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo and FTX component bullets, that greatly extend the effective range of the .30-30 such that a moderate bit of magnification helps at the roughly 200-250 yards now practical with the new ammo, and having the target and the aiming point more or less in focus -- impossible to accomplish with iron sights, mind you -- helps aiming precision to ensure a humane shot.
    We don't call it silly or sacrilege for those who prudently wear hearing protection, so why do we scoff at people who choose to acknowledge reality with the limitations of their eyesight who respond by improving their odds of getting a precision shot to ethically bring down their game?

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I would recommend taking a look at the Athlon Talos 3-12x40. It makes for an excellent hunting scope and is well under your price point, even the illuminated version.

Top Bottom