Is a 10/22 worth it???? or what is a better 22lr rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sassmatt72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2017
    South Bend
    As title says, is a 10/22 by Ruger any good?

how much do you spend to make it great?

What's a better 22lr rifle?

current deals and production.

thansk, M

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Only thing I did to mine was added a scope and suppressor. Can't go wrong with a 10/22.

like masterdekoy said reliable, cheap, and fun to shoot

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Worth it? Heck yes.

Are there better .22 rifles out there? Probably.

My 10/22 is the only .22 I personally own but it's completely stock and it's more than accurate enough for what I do with it. Simple design, easy to load, fun and fast shooting.

They are great guns. Everyone should own one.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Is a 10/22 any good? Good for what? It's not an Anschutz target rifle. Even a CZ or Ruger American or 77/22 can give you more accuracy but what are you using it for?

One big advantage of the 10/22 is that it's like the AR of .22lr rifles with a plethora of after market items from stocks to triggers to barrels and--I believe--a kitchen-table gunsmith can install most of them.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a 10/22 I shoot the crap out of. I was going to buy another 10/22 lite as a host rifle. However, I think I will end up buying one of the new S&W 15-22's. I think what you get for the money it's a heck of a deal, and the price is right there with the 10/22. I am not steering you away from a 10/22 but it's another option. It sounds like you don't have one though, so you can't go wrong either way.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Depends on the role you want it to play. Ruger American will be more consistently accurate. As a dedicated plinker, the 10/22 will usually fill the bill. It can be made into am accurate rifle. The amount you spend to get there will depend on your definition of accurate and how well Ruger did when they picked out it's parts at origin.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't really want to kick dirt on the 10/22 since they really are reliable, but I just don't like their stocks or the rotary magazine. Maybe it's just the ol' cowboy in me but I like the lever action 22s. I have a Henry (round barrel), and a Browning lever action and one is equally as accurate as the other. I bought my daughtet a Mossberg 702 plinkster a few years ago and it came with a truglo 3-9x32 scope on it and it has like wise been an excellent little rifle especially for the $145 I gave for it. Not if bolt actions are your thing my dad bought a CZ (not sure of the model) but it's supposed to be a military trainer rifle. He put a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope on it and that thing will put 5 rnds in a ragged hole at 100yds (can cover the hole with a quarter) and the action is smooth as silk yrigger breaks crisply....I need to get one

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The 10/22 is the cheeseburger and fries of .22 LR rifles, but for looks, accuracy, and a true classic, it's mighty hard to beat my Marlin 39A.
    It's just a personal matter, but I've never cared for a semiauto .22, so if I didn't already have my beloved Marlin, I'd probably get either a Ruger 77/22, CZ45x, or Ruger American, with a walnut stock, of course.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Is a 10/22 any good? Good for what? It's not an Anschutz target rifle. Even a CZ or Ruger American or 77/22 can give you more accuracy but what are you using it for?

One big advantage of the 10/22 is that it's like the AR of .22lr rifles with a plethora of after market items from stocks to triggers to barrels and--I believe--a kitchen-table gunsmith can install most of them.

This.....I have to agree......my opinion........Anschutz, CZ,Savage,or ??

All I did to my 10/22 was aftermarket barrel,bz trigger,boyds stock, so now I have gun that shoots have a accurate as a savage that cost way more.....

What are you doing with this thing? Plinking in the back yard?or chasing X's in a 3 position shoot?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The great thing about a 10/22 is that like an AR you can basically make it into whatever you want it to be. In my opinion it is the best all around choice for a first semi-auto .22, it is reliable, accurate and fun. However, if you just want something different I would look into the Browning Buckmark rifle.

If you are more interested in a bolt action, the CZs are nice as are the Ruger 77/22s.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Marlin/Glenfield model 60 if you don't want to customize and just use it as- is, from the box. Same price range as the Ruger, usually more accurate, similar reliability, no mags to keep track of.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Marlin/Glenfield model 60 if you don't want to customize and just use it as- is, from the box. Same price range as the Ruger, usually more accurate, similar reliability, no mags to keep track of.

I think the 10-22 has gotten to be popular because of the accessories that are available for it. For accuracy, I'll take one of my old bolt action rifles any day. If I want to burn through a bunch of rimfire I'll take my model 60 or 10-22 to the range.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm one of those that is not a fan. I prefer my 15-22 for a semi-auto and my Savage FVSR bolt over any semi-auto.

It really comes down to what you want it to do.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm one of those that is not a fan. I prefer my 15-22 for a semi-auto and my Savage FVSR bolt over any semi-auto.

It really comes down to what you want it to do.

I would have to agree with this guy.
    They are great guns as far as reliability and accuracy is concerned. I wouldn't spend any money on one.

I have owned three and keep selling them off. There are better options than the 22lr and for sure better guns.

10-22's are hard to clean and maintain compared to an AR or bolt gun. If I was to do it again I would probably go with a M&P AR 22 or Savage bolt gun. If the M&P is like a regular AR the bolt will easily slide out for cleaning and it is as reliable and accurate as the Ruger. Those are priced for the average shmuck if you got endless cash there are for sure other options.

Like anything else in life your budget and needs will dictate.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I tell everyone, I don't think any gun collection is complete without at least 1 10/22

I own one, my folding stock broke last year, and I put the factory stock back on and as soon as uncle sam cuts loose with the tax money, im getting a new stock and barrel (thinking a .920 threaded and a boyds stock)

dad has 2
    1 in a Hogue over molded stock
    1 in a muzzle lite bull pup stock

most people looking for a first rifle for a child I recommend a 10/22 compact (youth model) with a "ar15 style collapsible" stock, it can grow with the shooter, or even cut the factory stock to fit the kid, and buy another when the grow (10/22 stocks are a dime a dozen on ebay)

before everybody and their brother started making custom parts for ar15's I called the 10/22 "a Barbie doll for guys" (now the ar is a mans Barbie doll)

with all the stocks, mags, trigger's, barrels, charging handles, and factory models, I bet that no 2 10/22's are exactly the same!, and as cheep as they are, owning multiple 10/22's is easy (you should be able to buy one for around 2-225 new)

they're easy to customize and almost as easy to take apart!

so to answer your question...yes a 10/22 is worth it!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've been really close to buying a 10/22 many times. REALLY wanted one as a kid.

But there are so many "improvement" needed to really make them tack drivers compared to what you can get in other guns.

For my money, I'm looking at CZ 455 and 512s for my .22 rifle.

The 512 is very accurate for an autoloader, and costs less than a 10/22 with a bunch of "fixes."

And CZ now has a 512 magazine that is 25 rounds and works in all 512 models.

Top Bottom